Fav Guitarist??

Guitar_god_

Whos is the best guitarist  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Pete Townshend for amazing chord and rythem work

2. George Harrison for blending of blues, eastern and other formats into his own slide style.

3. Peter Green in his heyday.

:D

Well, i can't choose one, so i'll choose 5!

Jimi Hendrix

Jason Becker

Noel Gallagher

Zakk Wylde

Dave Gilmour

Why are nearly all the guitarists shred-esque? Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Malmsteen, Buckethead and to a certain extent, Slash And Randy. I think the list should be changed

i don't even know who buckethead is,but i had to go with stevie ray.see there is no such thing as a best guitarist,in my opinion.there are a thousand guys with equally amazing chops out there so i have to go with who,musically is the greatest songwriter AND also an amazing guitarist.stevie had it all,and i have seen him play on austin city limits(a local show on p.b.s)many times and the guy never missed a note and always put his heart and soul into it.most times he didn't even open his eyes while he was playing.he just felt it and played it.i also love kerry king,jeff hanneman,marty friedman,dave mustaine(rythm genius),and the man who is THE reason i picked up my first guitar;kirk hammet ,for taking conventional blues based shredding a step further(although i think he was killed and replaced by aliens in the early 90's.)don't forget that kirk was also an original guitarist for exodus,and if memory serves me he was only 18 when he joined metallica.

i agree with westheman, on something i missed ealier, there is no best guitarist, there could be some one thats like poor on the streets, that could kick the **** out of joe satch and steve vai, but no one knows about it. And, marty friedman is amazing, jason becker is at the moment disabled, because of lou gherigs disease (spelling?) and i think its a terrible tragedy, that the world could lose such a telent, even when he was in highschool, he could waste just about anyone, my friend scott has made it his life goal to be better than jason, but i think the title of fastest sweepage has been retired, along with most of the talented guitarist from the 80s, i hope to see a comeback in the future of amazing guitarist.

thanks

Howdy,

A few names that I don't see are:

Chet Atkins (Country boy can PLAY). So freaking smooth. If could play like anybody, it would be Chet.

Jeff Beck. Listen the The Jeff Beck Group album Truth. Mind blowing is the only word.

While I don't care for much of the Dead, Jerry Garcia. You have to see him on video and compare the music to the motion to understand how good he was.

Elvin Bishop.

Steve Cropper.

Mark Knopfler.

And don't forget some of the old boys who led the way. Chuck Berry, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, BB King. And many others. :D

Obviously, I am more into pickers than shredders.

Later,

Guitar Ed

ok, the names in the poll above would be largely increased, except for the fact that when u create a poll, it says 10 max choices, so i didn't know what to do with that

the above mentioned guitarists are all amazing, and there isn't one that i do not like, but for me, i think any technical guitarist from the 80s, like michael angelo from nitro, or billy sheehan on bass (SHREDDING IT UP FOR ALL YOU BASSISTS) and some others, like george lynch, cacaphony was amazing as well, ninja is one of my fav songs ever, with jason becker, who very unfourtunately has been fighting gehrigs (spelling?) disease for about 14 years now, and i know we are all hoping he pulls through. Megadeth with Marty Freidman is one of my favorite bands, until they got that new shitty guitarist, and then split up Zakk wilde is pretty awesome, and when he comes to vancouver bc with ozzy, i really hope to get tix. Any one i'm missing? I'm sure there is, so, why don't u guys reply with your favorite 80's metal guitarists, thats my new challenge, thanks, later

ps, i know that 80s metal, or "power metal" isnt the only genre with good guitarists, i just want to know ur opinions on 80s shredders, thanks a lot,

i agree 100% with chet atkins.i have often wondered if he really belongs under the country label though,his style is so unique.amazing chordwork.and guitar god are you aware that megadeth only split up cause dave mustaine was injured and suffered nerve damage which may prevent him from ever playing guitar again?check out megadeth before marty friedman too that other guitarist also rocked.i've never been a fan of people like michalangelo because it seems like they sacrifice listenability(?) for fast fingerwork.you can have both speed and musicality but i never thought that yngwie or others like him did.love marty friedman though,check out his solo work after cacaphony and before megadeth.and who is the "new shitty guitarist" you speak of?i find it hard to believe dave mustaine would hire a guitarist that didn't have abilities.

and who is the "new shitty guitarist" you speak of?i find it hard to believe dave mustaine would hire a guitarist that didn't have abilities.

He's talking about Al Pitrelli.

Well, Guitar_God, I don't think Pitrelli is a shitty guitarist. Maybe he didn't fit into Megadeth as Marty did, but he was in Savatage too. And, I heard "Rude Awakening", the live album of Megadeth, and he can play Marty's solos pretty good. The only thing to complain is that in solo writing, at least for Megadeth's songs, Marty was more succesful than Al.

well i have to admit that when marty first started playing for megadeth,i thought HE sucked.i'm really embarressed about it now though :D but it was only because i was young(about 17)and thought that the only way to play metal guitar leads was kirk hammet style.it wasn't until i tried to learn one of his solos that i realized that,hey this guy's pretty good.but the truth is that NO guitarist that plays for megadeth or any band like it sucks,simply because the whole band is based on technical proficiency.can you imagine dave mustaine saying"hey this guy sucks but he looks like a star so we'll use him"

one more thing though,i'm not sure that the words "shitty" or "sucks" can be used to describe a proffesional musician.t.v. shows suck.musicians i don't like are just "not my style".i just have to give respect to a guy who devotes his life to playing an instrument well.when i was young i even said (i'm so embarressed to admit this)joe satriani sucked.WHAT WAS I THINKING.apparently i thought i knew more than i did.

Rick Emmit inspired and awed me in my early years and then Marty Friedman made me want more and more...... :D

Just about everyone listed here in the original post and all the addins are just great, in fact any guitarist, bassist hell musician that even trys good or not gets my vote, basically any one skill level etc... its not an easy aspect for most and I appreciate just the effort, as for the addins I would have to pencil in Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and I would also like to add BB King and Albert Collins because everyone else I would have added in was already mentioned up there in the other posts.

and Bassists, well I guess Ill have to start another poll wont I

Jeremy

sorry if i sound negative but to me music is about sharing your soul with others not playing guitar with a bucket on your head.is this guy any good or is it all about image?8 finger tapping doesn't tell me much.tapping is one of the first things i learned and i believe one of the easiest.sweep picking is tough for me though.

just did an internet search and answered my own question.fairly skilled as a guitarist but i don't believe anyone would listen to him if he didn't have a bucket on his head.anyone disagree?put a link to something you find impressive by him.i don't mind having my opinion changed.maybe i just heard the wrong songs.