JackyB Posted August 15, 2004 Report Share Posted August 15, 2004 Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes... I'm thoroughly disappointed in almost every regard the way this guitar turned out. Granted, I wasn't expecting much to come out of this. I've found that the best way to figure stuff out is to figure it out for yourself. I went into this project with a neglected Fender Newporter I bought for $40, an electric sander, some polyurethane, a paint brush, and my basic knowledge of woodworking from helping out in home improvement projects. My initial plan was to disassemble, clean and polish all the hardware, sand down the current busted finish, and refinish it. Sounded simple enough, yes? After procrastinating for almost 4 months, I finally cracked down to business. I bought some gloss polyurethane from Ace Hardware and a small paint brush. After I sanded everything down, I started to apply the poly with the brush. I quickly found out that this wasn’t going to work out the way I wanted. The brush marks were clearly visible even after it dried. I wet sanded it down and tried again. Same results, only a little better. My girlfriend tells me that you’re supposed to apply poly with a rag for best results (She thought I was still trying to stain it.) I figured this was worth a shot, so I tried applying it with a rag. I put on several (5-6) very thin layers of poly and I was still not satisfied. When I came in out of the sun, I noticed several small white specs in the finish. Several small fuzzies came off of the cotton rag my girlfriend gave me to use… There was also lots of drippage along the side. And the whole thing sanded unevenly because the whole body was warped from being in a moist climate. At this point I didn’t even care anymore, the whole project seemed FUBAR. I was simply tired of sanding and refinishing and not seeing any good results. Things to fix before my next project: I need to come into the project with a better attitude. Impatience was probably a bit setback for me because I took a lot of short cuts that I really shouldn’t have. I also learned that it’s far too difficult to get a mirror finish with a brush. Next time I’m going to spray it. I think spraying would solve a lot of the problems I faced with the poly. I'll be selling this on ebay, so I'll post a link to the auction if anybody's interested. Here is a link to my original thread: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=8481&hl= As promised, here are the pictures: Over view of the face. Doesn't look too bad. The huge crack actually looks better than it was before, even though it's sanded unevenly. Lighted view of the back. Notice the waviness. The white specs are pieces of cotton from my rag I used to apply the poly. Another overview of the back just to show how bad it is. The back of the headstock. It actually turned out okay. (The only thing that turned out okay.) I'd like to point out that the tuners are useless and it was a pain in the ass to string. Overview of the fretboard. Angled view to show my sloppy job on the headstock. It makes me want to cry, too. A good view of the drippage, and some more white specs. I didn't tape over this, so there's poly all over it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.