the mod your crybaby thread

Ki swordsman

Sorry, but the point is there's nearly as much info on modding your Crybaby on the 'Net as there is on lowering your Lexus. Did you have a specific question? That maybe I could help you with, but it's pointless for me to link you to stuff you've probably already seen from doing a Google search. If you just want true bypass,go to Geofex for a comprehensive treatment.

hmm take the feedback capacitor and put it on a switch like a rotary one and select between multilple ranges.. you have to doulbe the capacitance to get to the next octave range according to oen popular site.

personally i just lower the input resistor a tad. then drop in a darlington in the first possition to make it saturate easier with stock components. put the truebypass in. and remove the capacitor the 4.7uf or larger. for a cheap volume pedal effect. other things to do in that same note. put apot where the 33k resistor is say a 100k and flip it to max to get that great clydemccoy sound.. (theres a little more than just this one mod but it really does do the most of the sound.) i change out the pot to one of my custom pots. i put in a dual pot that has one for stock sounds. and one that i have gone in and added and scrapped resistive material out of. so that it behaves like a crack addict on lsd and smack when you select that pot. you can also add an envelope detection unit to change the actual vowel sound and the gain of the first transistor decidingly so by how hard you play and combingint that with the actual posistions of the rocker pedal will yield some sounds like this. (also good to know reverse bends and whammy madness typical of say satch and vai)

www.geocities.com/thirteenthdevils/noiz.htm

very first clip. that has all the latter mods. i mentioned. its kindof unstable as a standard wah but thats why you build a swithcing matrix into it so that you can have all the above mentioned mods into it.

hmm well i will try to make it easier. :D

http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/veffects/crybaby.pdf

heres the basic schematic. you will notice the second transistor has a trace coming off o fit into a .01uf cap into i belive (asi am doing this via memory) a 1.5k back into the input of the effect. this is your feedback loop. changing this cap to a larger or smaller value in doulbe or half values taht is will make the range of the wah move.

hey man let me know if you want it modded i am doing a board for a guy right now as i found a cheap dead univibe shell.

hmm well i will try to make it easier. :D

http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/veffects/crybaby.pdf

heres the basic schematic. you will notice the second transistor has a trace coming off o fit into a .01uf cap into i belive (asi am doing this via memory) a 1.5k back into the input of the effect. this is your feedback loop. changing this cap to a larger or smaller value in doulbe or half values taht is will make the range of the wah move.

ansil, is the s1 the same that comes from factory or is a different one that needs to be replaced? Also, I read that you can change a resistor and a cap to help with the volume drop when engaged. Are this in the schematics? Can you post the values to be changed. I did a google search and I can find infinite sites about this, they either sell you a kit, wich I'm sure its a small boars that you solder on points , and the best one I found got pics and everything but for univibe not for dunlop.

To clear things up a bit, the schematic that Ansil posted has true-bypass switching already incorporated into it (ie, it's a modded pedal schematic). You can also eliminate the "tone-suck" by buffering the input without changing the switching, a solution that many people prefer, and that should eliminate the bypass volume drop issue (although that's easily fixed with true-bypass switching also).

If you read the article I pointed out earlier ( http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm , since the other thread has gotten buried), and check out this one on the same site, it should all be fairly clear. RG goes to fairly great lengths to explain how it works, and what each part does for the sound, complete with diagrams. It would be disrespectful to all his hard work for me to rehash it badly on this thread (not to mention time-consuming), so go take a look, and if you still have questions, post 'em here.

As for tone mods, everybody's got their faves - mine is to replace the board with a VCVS parametric filter board for synthish over-the-top freak-wah response. :D