Building A Neck Jig

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I wasn't on today to discuss things. I was at the hospital all day today, my mom had to have knee surgery. I won't be on much the next couple of days, simply because I don't have a laptop and wireless net to use while I'm there.

Thanks Daveq.. I'm glad that you enjoyed and have actually found the tutorial useful, sorry it's not finished yet though. Again, I'm sorry I have been out of pocket today. But Soap has explained things nicely on the DI's and such and has really answered the questions better than I could have. I'll finish the neck jig post when I get some time to finish it. Right now, it's just a bad time, so I won't be on much the next couple of days. Take care guys!!!!

Matt Vinson

Thanks lucky1, her surgery went well but she has a long way to go with rehab. I'll be gone most of the week and I'll just check back in when I can. Hopefully If everything works out I can finish that tutorial up and can move on to other stuff. Oh yeah, forgot to say thanks Krazy D for posting that ebay link, I didn't save it.. lol

Yes Soapbar, I've actually just put a small piece of cork on end of it, but that's an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip bro. Also, did you think using threaded inserts was a good idea instead of the lag type screw they use? I've had great results using it so far, but I'm always in search of new ideas if there is a better way.

Man that's one good setup. I like the way you made the block for bolt on necks, so that you could string them up without fear of harming the body. Also it will let you adjust the truss rod if they are crazy enough to put it at the heel of the guitar, without having to remove the neck. I plan on making one of those also later on. Very good photos... I also noticed what you was talking about, when you said you knew when the dial indicators was aligned because the plunge will go through the predrilled hole. Very neat I must say. I also noticed some other things, but I don't want to reveal any secrets of yours unless you didn't care.

haha.. Oh we'll this looks like a two way converstation anyway. I guess you and me are the only two who really get into fretting very much. Actually at the headstock end I thought you had already done something I was gonna do, but after you explained it, it's different. What I want to do is make the headstock jack part built into the jig so that you can turn a thumbscrew and move it up or down. I'm still working on that one. There is still alot of things I want to improve on and I really think there is alot of things that can be done to improve the design of the neck jig. You've got some very neat ideas.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of knee surgery did your mom have? My dad had a complete knee replacement about 2 months ago. It was really weird, he only hit the morphine pump, like, 3 times, and he was released after the 3rd day, but they probably could have released him after two. The doctor said he'd never seen anything like it. He was out mowing the lawn after the 3rd week with a pushmower.

If they take my entire knee out and put in an artificial joint, I'm going to hit that morphine drip as fast as I can! Man, I hope I don't have to have that done....

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, didn't the old Neck Jigs have the wire pull down like your describe? I could never figure out what the difference was though. There are tons of ways to improve on the Neck Jig though. I've also got some ideas on other devices that will attach to it to sand the neck pefectly flat while it's in the string tensioned simulated Neck Jig.

Do you get the feeling Soap, that we are the only two that has a neck jig on the forum.  lol

Maybe, but not the only one who's interested. You guys would probably be the foremost in explaining exactly how the neck jig works, what everything on it does, and the benefits of using one, so could you please? I am interested, I'm currently waiting for a thickness sander to go on sale, so I'm not building anymore instruments right now, and now would be a good time to make a neck jig, if it should prove that usefull.

BTW, do you know if it's helpful with fretless instruments at all?

Thanks

EDIT: I found some explaination of setting it up here.

Now you got me wondering if that 1986 GP article about the neck-jig is in the book 'Guitar Player repair guide' .

There is two pages on it in that book, I just read it. The neck jig really seems like more of a repair tool to me, though, and I'm not sure if that's something I will ever get into.