Building A Neck Jig

I'm finished with the Neck Jig tutorial, I hope everyone finds it of some value.

Neck Jig Tutorial

Lex... I don't think of a Neck Jig as something for only repairmen. Read this article on Jaros and how good his guitars play.Jaros Building info

Driskill uses on on every guitar he builds.

neck_jig_3.jpg

Read this article on how he describes the use of the Neck Jig as being a big reason they play so good. article on Diablo

Quote from the article...

As a final touch, each Driskill Diablo is put on a neck jig where the frets are crowned, polished, and buffed with string tension on them. This gives the Driskill Diablo the ultimate edge on playability.

There are plenty others using a neck jig, some just won't tell you though.. lol

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm in the process of building my jig and i'm trying to figure out where the body supports go on the plywood.... is there any specif places ? i basicly just took a couple of bodies and traced them on the plywood then marked areas where the supports would contact all the bodies without hitting any rear router covers.. I'll have a seperate set of inserts to put the rods in for electrics... and then eventually accoustics.

On a side note, GuitarFrenzy puts a bend into his threaded rods that support the DI's, but doesn't that make them kinda hard to adjust up and down? While doing a bit of research i found this pic and it looks like the stew one just has those rods offset...

neckjig003.jpg

I'm also kinda a little undecided on... is the length of the rod / how high in the beam to put the tightening knob.. looks like my knobs will be 1-1/2" down.. and the rods will be ~8" long...

There's also a problem with the headstock support rod... i checked on a couple of necks.. the rod seems to come up and hit the tuners on more then one of the guitars i have around.... anyone else notice this? i just moved the rod towards the tightening strap a bit to fix it... just thought i'd ask...

Lastly, wasn't mimf selling a set of plans on their site somewhere? i've tried searching this site and mimf and i can't find it anywhere...