stains and tru-oil

I've done a search, but haven't had any luck at all.

I'm wondering if it's possible to stain the wood (body and maybe neck) and then finish over the top of the stain with tru-oil?

If no-one's tried, I guess my answer is to try it on some scrap and see what happens! But rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask first.

Not only possible, but fairly popular over at MIMF - the consensus seems to be use metal-acid dyes on the bare wood or in a shellac toner and adjust your color slightly for the amber tint of the Tru-Oil like you would with old-school nitro. Tru-Oil isn't as popular around here, probably because it's so time-consuming to develop a really deep gloss, and it doesn't wear as well as nitro or poly. If you're ever over at MIMF, check out Steve Smith's first guitar in the library gallery - it took a lot of effort, but his ruby dye/Tru-Oil finish is spectacular!

Thanks for the reply! A Blue Vee appears to be on its way in that case! I'll still do some test strips with the dye though!