Nitro Laquer on guitar

Ok I have finished my first guitar. All except the clear coat.

I am torn between Stew mac's Clear gloss and clear satin. I have already order the gloss and it is set to ship tommorow. I can still cancel the order today.

With the gloss I am afraid it will take away from the over all look of the wood as it is subtle grain. It would be too mirror like. Instead of seeing the grain you would just see reflections.

I like th look of it now which assume would be close to the look of the satin laquer.

11.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

any comments are welcome

By the way...that looks GREAT chris...awesome job on your first. Everything looks pretty damn smooth, except for the string through spacing :D Whatever, I hope my first complete goes half that well.

I personally hate gloss on natural wood...so try keep the sheen off, with whatever path you choose. I'm redoing my Les Paul pretty natural, and I'm just going over the mahogany in Tung Oil.

Did you darken the mahogany or is it just that color in general? When I stripped the LP, my mahogany is less red, and less deep. I was thinking the tung oil would change that, but your's looks nice bare.

By the way...that looks GREAT chris...awesome job on your first. Everything looks pretty damn smooth, except for the string through spacing :D Whatever, I hope my first complete goes half that well.

I personally hate gloss on natural wood...so try keep the sheen off, with whatever path you choose. I'm redoing my Les Paul pretty natural, and I'm just going over the mahogany in Tung Oil.

Did you darken the mahogany or is it just that color in general? When I stripped the LP, my mahogany is less red, and less deep. I was thinking the tung oil would change that, but your's looks nice bare.

Thank you very much. I am very proud of the way it came out. And yes the spacing for the string through is pretty off. But if you are judging that by the things on the back, I should tell you that they are not pressed in. They are jeust being held there by the string soi are going off in every direction. They are also a tad to far from the bridge which make it easy for the low E to slide off the saddle. I think I will fashion a string retainer muck like those used on the headstock of fenders to make the angle at which the string go over the bridge a little more severe.

Is yours the one that was 3 pieces? If it is It look incredible so far.

Mine ios not bare wood. I stained it black then stained it red on top of that. Thats how it became so dark. It is actually much deper in real life. The picture makes it look very brown and dull which it is not.

NO you can't just sand with fine grit and leave it for a satin finish, that looks like crap!!

All it does is leave fine scratches that make it look cloudy. Satin finish is a specific finish. You cannot acheive a satin finish just by leaving gloss sanded with fine paper and unbuffed. Satin finish is still nice and clear, just not shiny. Gloss finish sanded with 2000 is cloudy as all it is is scratches, you will lose the detail grain if you do that. If you want a satin finish then apply a satin finish.

If you only want it for protection from dirt you can simply spray on 2 or 3 light coats of gloss laquer though, it will soak into the grain and seal it but it won't really be glossy.