Polishing with a random-orbital sander

I'd like to find out if anybody does the final buffing/polishing with a random-orbital sander and the foam polishing attachments.

Besides a pedestal buffer, what's the most popular electric buffing technique?

Do you guys use a drill with stewmac's finesse polishing foam pad?

I'm almost at my buffing stage, I know i don't want to do it by hand and I really don't know if I should go with the drill thing of the R-O sander.

Any tips anyone?

You cannot use any type of liquids (i.e. polishing compounds) ...with an orbital sander that has any type of dust vacuum system (i.e. holes in the bottom of the pad)

You will suck the liquids up into the sander and have one very expensive finishing lesson learned, and one brand new paperweight. :D

Random orbit is worthless for buffing, it will not remove the scratches. I actually bought a very expensive dual action buffer and ended up selling it as they just don't cut it. You need an actual power buffer. The stew mac setup is awesome but a regular 6" car buffer will work fine. If you are using laquers the stew mac finesse pads and a drill capable of 1200rpm work really well for a pretty small investment.

Random orbit is worthless for buffing, it will not remove the scratches. I actually bought a very expensive dual action buffer and ended up selling it as they just don't cut it. You need an actual power buffer. The stew mac setup is awesome but a regular 6" car buffer will work fine. If you are using laquers the stew mac finesse pads and a drill capable of 1200rpm work really well for a pretty small investment.

I had the same problem, (but I didn't bought and expensive one) ai bought a 10" da buffer for my car and it went straight to the trash, withthe exeption of the 10" pad that Ikept. and I now have a 6" car polisher that I got from $50 at walmart, that has the velcro pad at the bottom, I just go to carquest and get the pad that I want to use, I got the wool and had the foam one but I killed that one with the SUV. I think that with laquer if you do a decent job colorsanding, you can hand polish it without killing your arm B) that's how I did the strat and the LP, :D I'm afraid to eat up a corner with the polisher, seen this many times on poly, and I'm sure that laquer is softer than poly.