My First Project

hi friends, i,m from mexico, and this is my first project, i need your help and your comments.

The most dificult part for me its the neck, im like scared because i dont know how to do the radius and the back of the neck, i need sanding but my cuestion is in the radius, i want a Wizard neck like ibanez, but the radius is 12" in the nut and 16" in the bridge, how can i do that?

Here my pics.

Chossing the wood. Her its a big trouble because you cant find good wood.

Im clamping 4 pieces of 1" of widht.

Neptuno body pics

Bienvenido,

but you posted on the wrong forum... Any of the mods might be able to move it, so just PM, Kevan, Wes, or Brian...

I know how it is over there... a few of my friends already told me, but it looks as you are doing pretty good, do a search here and you will find a few good neck tutorials, or go to the main site neck tutorial

Mexican woods that would work are:

Cocobolo for the fretboard

Mahogany for the neck. You could use cocobolo here too, but it wouldn't be ideal.

Doing a compound radius like you mentioned isnt easy. I would go with a straight 16" radius. The back of the neck is shaped, not radiused, just dont go thru the truss rod route. That almost never happens, but be careful not to.

BTW....topic moved

• 1 month later...

Hi Again, well my project is very slow, thats the template of the headstock.

headstock

And i think im wrong using only ash, because of the tonality, its like a coin in the floor, and right now i want to use Mahogany to add more low tonality.

Do you think the mahogany and ash combination in the neck its a good option? maybe can help a little and the sound could be fat.

Thanks and excuse me, my English is awful :D

Yeah, but if I hit you with a rock maple bat I bet I'd knock out a few more teeth...:D

Wizard necks are very thin and you must use strong wood and a good trussrod to keep it stable. I would use maple. Mahogany is not strong enough, either.

BTW, Sammy Sosa uses rock maple bats custom made in Canada. Ever seen one of his bats (not corked, that is) break?

mmm American jes, i think mahogany its more flexible than ash, and the ash its a little hard, especially in the Ibanez Wizard neck.

My RG 565 reverse headstock, comes with the thinest neck in the world B) and its all from ash, but i want a rich tonality and balanced ecualization in my sound, and somebody told me that.

Maybe if i use only ASh, in the neck, not Palo de Rosa, or Ebano, the sound could be more balanced, im confused :D

Mahogany its better for the Les Pauls and PRS right? not for shredders?

I think that the Ibanez necks are all maple! Maybe wrong but...

You're definately right here. I NEVER saw an Ibanez guitar that has no maple neck. Often they even have a Bubinga Center piece to firther increase stability. There may be some obscure Ibanez Hollow-Body with a neck made from something else, but a Wizard neck has to be made from maple or stronger material. Everything else is quite a risk in my opinion and I would not try it. Ordering a piece of maple from the USA or Canada can't be that expensive?

You are right Guitarmaestro, Ibanez=maple neck.

And the sound says all, you cant play an Ibanez in Clean mode, you need effects.

In the other side, Stratos and Paulas, the sound its beautiful, with chorus, overdrive, flanger, clean, etc etc. and i say well i can do a combination between 2 different worlds, mixing maple, mahogany, etc etc.

• 4 months later...

Well, i bought mahogany for my project, it has 2 maple pieces, and 2" i will cut to 1" and then i ll glue the mahogany.

My idea was like the N4 Washburn, all in maple, but its not a good idea for the sound, im thinking in a mahogany neck too, for a fat sound, and rosewood in the fingerboard.

That combination its good for a fat sound?

• 4 months later...

I still agree that an acoustic fingerboard isn't ideal; however, since it's a custom project, it's not the scale length that would cause me concern, unless you strictly want the exact same scale length as a true Wizard. I'd be more concerned about the width and feel of it. That particular fretboard has a scale length of 25.25", according to a site I found on Google. It's not THAT extremely different that you'd rule out the fretboard for just that one difference.

At the most basic level, yes you could use it.

At a more realistic level, I don't think that I would choose to. It's 22 frets, which is fine for me in general, but perhaps not for this particular project. The width at the nut and the 22nd fret (determining the "taper") will be different than most electrics, and as mentioned, the scale length would possibly be a compromise for you, despite only a marginal difference; and finally, I've no idea how much levelling and 'setting up' would be required after a fretboard transplant. It could be very little, but it could be a lot. I wouldn't "expect" that it would be levelled and perfectly playable after installing it.

Greg

• 1 year later...