Piezo tutorial

GregP

Hi all,

I did a forum search, but didn't find what I was looking for. Wasn't there a piezo-making tutorial somewhere in here? I found a link to the one that was used on a double-bass, but I could have sworn there were one or two others, no?

Actually, I thought there was a thread titled, "Make your own Piezo pickup", but apparently I've been hitting the smack a bit too hard. Also could have sworn it was ansil that posted it. I really must be dreaming.

Any other tutorials OTHER than this one? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I like a variety of sources, you know?

Greg

B)Hi GregP...it's me... :D

I'm working on a piezo system for a strat at the moment to drive my sustainer system.

Unlike the one's posted here (which works fine I'm sure) mine picks up the sound of each string individually. I'm slipping a small piezo element under the bridge piece and am working on individual little one transistor preamps to be mounted with them for minimum noise.

My prototype is giving really good results (at least on one string for now)!

Am happy to share on this one

psw

Hi psw. :D

I mostly need it for plain old acoustic-tone-on-an-electric (like Godin Flat Five or Parker Fly) type stuff, but I imagine the hexaphonic piezo pickup will still add a great bit of articulation to the tone!

Be aware that I'm not going to be buying the materials tomorrow and making it or anything, so please don't go through any trouble writing an explanation or anything. I'll remember to look you up when I get around to it!

Regarding Bear's tutorial-- wow... epoxy! That'll seal'er in. Great tutorial, though. Between that and the "bass piezo" tutorial, i should be able to hack something together.

Greg

:DHey Greg...

That Bear tutorial should work fine...you'll need a preamp and probably some tone adjustment to stop it sounding too steely. I've got a preamp/compressor/limiter on a chip which would work great...mainly to control the attack. Even without anything fancy...mixing the sound with the regular pickups rounds out about anything out so go for it!!!

Best of luck

psw