Need Help Choosing a router.

nonamemx

Hi.

I need a router of some sort. I am very low on cash, I cant go out and buy a whole router table.

I need something where I can route pickup cavities and stuff like that on solidbody guitars.

Can anyone share with me the most cost effective way to route?

I did a project before, trying to make a MIM strat body routing accomidate a Humbucker in the neck, and I used just my drill and a drill bit and. . ."went at it", lol.

Needless to say, that was pretty wreckless.

What if I got a router bit and mounted it to an Electric drill, would that work? It doesn't need to be perfectly measured, just fairly clean. Would that work if I just held the drill steady?

Or would that be just as wreckless as the drill bit?

THANK YOU MUCH!

What if I got a router bit and mounted it to an Electric drill, would that work? It doesn't need to be perfectly measured, just fairly clean. Would that work if I just held the drill steady?

Or would that be just as wreckless as the drill bit?

Definitely reckless.

A drill doesn't even come CLOSE to the speeds a router goes at.

The best way is to buy yourself a cheap ass 50$ (or less)router from home depot or something. The no-name ones manufactured in China will be really cheap and do the job DECENTLY whenever you get more cash, or decide to go pro or something then you can invest in better equipment.

My router is a 30 year old B & D I got from a friend for free. You might even want to check out pawn shops if you want.

If you do buy a router, take note of the collet size. 1/2" collets can accept 1/4" addapters, but I'm not sure if 1/4" collets and go up to 1/2", so don't buy 1/2" shaft bits for a 1/4" collet router, but I may be wrong. It's just that my two routers have 1/2" and 1/4" collets, so I'm not sure.

for my two cents i'm gonna say you'd be really unhappy with the results of using a router bit in a drill...in fact, i'd give five bucks to watch that. but seriously not only would you mess up your project that way but probably hurt yourself trying. i've been using a $40.00 b&d for a couple of years now and that was after i used it for two seasons in my deck building business. they're light weight and easy to control. the secret to doing a good job with a lighter router is to make two or three cuts. don't try to go full depth on your first try. you'll burn up your bits and router faster.

Bassically you have to ask yourself how much money can i really afford to spend on a router. You really should get the best that you can afford.

Ive had experience where as i bought an inexpensive router and wasnt upto the standard that i required. So i took it back to the shop and bought a black and decker and it hasnt failed me yet.

You also have to think that you are likely to have this tool with you for many years to come so it is worth while getting a decent piece of kit.