Interested in guitar building...

Howdy,

Well, I have been interested in building my own guitar for a little while now. I would like to find out a little more about what is involved in the process. I have followed a lot of the threads in the forums of people building their guitars, and have attained a general idea of what the building stages of a guitar are.

Here is my background: For about the last 3.5 years, I have been building and flying model airplanes. This hobby has given me some very abilities in terms of designing, working with wood, and construction. Through it, I have learned to use all the basic tools, and learned valuble lessons such as taking time on a project and using proper methods of construction.

Alright, now to the guitar. Basically, what I want to do is copy the basic modern rock guitar shape (think Ibanez RG series of guitars, and jackson soloists, etc). This doesnt seem like it will be too hard to do, as the basic shape of the body is relativly flat and has no curbs that a beginner like me could not tackle. I'de like the guitar to have 2 single coils in the neck and middle positions (as I like that warm, full tone singles produce) and a humbucker in the bridge position. I would also like the guitar to have a floyd rose style trem system with locking nuts (as it suits my style of music). 24 frets are a must.

I have two things holding me back: 1) budget 2) tools avalible. I have all the basic tools avalible to me, a scroll saw, and a dremel, but nothing like a router or anything too large like that. I suppose if I really needed one of these things I could find a local shop with these tools and do any work directly at the shop. As for budget, i'de like to keep everything construction wise down to as little cost as possible (except for pickups, F-rose, and hardware, which are essential).

So... what I am asking for is any links you guys can give me, online tutorials, tips, tricks, similar guitar building experiences, or anything you can think of to help get me on the right track. :D

Thanks,

Paul

Amazingly enough I had never been to to projectguitar home page! I found the forums via google.

Alexander,

I think I would prefer to just start from scratch and learn the process. I am pretty confident that from my years of airplane building I have aquired the skill to manufacture my own parts and do a fairly decent job at it (not to mention I take grat joy in building).

I'll check out the tutorials on this site, but would apprieciate any more links you guys can offer. :D

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Paul Penney

yep, you can check out www.guitarbuild.com

not sure if they have a RG template there, but if you donate to this site and get a badge (it will say Donated in 2004) you can get access to the download section where I am pretty sure they do have one

Hope that helps

Curtis

Welll.... After not being able to find any plans I tried an alternate route and fooled around with CAD a little while :D

The result is this drawing. I took photos off the internet and basically just traced them into this form. I still have to size it and match the dimentions with a real RG, once a friend of mine sends me said dimentions. I suppose I would have to work everything out for myself... design, construction, etc, while heavily borrowing from the RG series plans.

Check em out and tell me what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Pau...123/RG-Full.jpg

Paul

Heres an update on the drawings..... thinner neck, thinner body, and back view.

I welcome comments if I am going in the right direction here. I am also looking for DIMENTIONS for this series of guitar. If someone has a guitar like this and an accurate ruler handy, can they please email me?

pasta_guy@hotmail.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Pau...23/RG-Full2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Pau...23/RG-Full2.jpg

Thanks!

Paul

Ok I got home now, here is the bitmap that I just did, is just the same one you posted, just that I redid the body heel. Like the AANJ, If you like yours thats good, just that this will be the one I think gives the best access, like the one that guitarmaestro did on his guitar.

http://fullservesite.com/maiden69/guitar%20photos/rg.bmp

Ok I got home now, here is the bitmap that I just did, is just the same one you posted, just that I redid the body heel. Like the AANJ, If you like yours thats good, just that this will be the one I think gives the best access, like the one that guitarmaestro did on his guitar.

http://fullservesite.com/maiden69/guitar%20photos/rg.bmp

Hey, I see what you mean now! Thanks, and I have adjusted it as it does look a little better as well :D:D

Good news everyone! Simo from these boards was kind enough to send me some jem body blueprints and, to my surprize, my trace from an 800 x 200 pixel image from ibanez website was spot on! The only thing I needed to adjust was body thickness a tough and some neck anchor details!

Keep the comments coming! B)

Thanks,

Paul