Really strange idea

feylya

For some strange reason, I just thought of this. Has anyone ever thought about making a guitar top from pieces of wood cut into a jigsaw shape? It'd probably destroy the tone with the amount of glue required but you could use a wood that's generally not available in large enough pieces.

What does everyone think?

Edited by feylya

Hi,

so i know that this is probably going to be a stupid question, but does glue affect tone THAT much???

I don't really know much abou it all, but it just seems to me that if you can make a guitar out of metal and plastic, then who cares if it's got a tiny bit of glue in it? Acoustic - yes, electric - no...

Shoot me down - by all means, just want some technical answers that make sense! Thanks ppl

so i know that this is probably going to be a stupid question, but does glue affect tone THAT much???

i would say that the difference between the amount of glue required to glue on a regular top vs a "jigsaw puzzle" top would be negligible,if the pieces were fit tight...especially if you used a t.o.m. or a floyd where the trem inserts would extend below the top anyway...

but really,it is just a "different" tone anyway,rather than a "worse "one

i say do it...all this relentless pursuit of some elusive "perfect tone" drives me goofy anyway these days....if you build your guitar with tight fitting joints and good materials,it WILL sound good,for one style of playing or another

when you experiment with guitar tone,just build it and let it tell you what it wants to be used for

that is my opinion anyway

well it would all depend on the number of jigsaw pieces you want to do... if there were lots of pieces then it would use alot more glue, changing the sound alot more than if it were less pieces but the difference in tone is nothing major as with modern effects stuff you can easily change the sound of it to what you want anyway... So once again i say do it sounds like a great idea and (if goes well) definatly be a front runner for GOTM (i would vote for it unless i had 1 going too)

BigT

:D