Archtop Vintage Sunburst

Bill-Murray

Have any of you done a vintage sunburst like on the LP?? Can I get some pictures, and can you tell what you used and how hard it was?? Also for a LP (style) guyitar, you can't do a drop top, so do you start with a 1/4" top, or thicker??? thanks

Thank you.

I'm just not big on uploading pics of stuff lately. They're around here, but so is my recent attack of laziness. B)

The videos will get you where you want to be.

Any questions, just ask here, I'll be around, as will others who've done bursting too :D

Have any of you done a vintage sunburst like on the LP??

Can I get some pictures

Can you tell what you used and how hard it was??

Also for a LP (style) guyitar, you can't do a drop top, so do you start with a 1/4" top, or thicker?

1) Yes.

2) I'll see what I can do.

3) My normal method is to use waterbased anilyne dyes wiped directly on the Maple for the basecoat colors.

Then I use Alcohol-Based or Metallic-based anilyne dyes *mixed in with my lacquer as a toner/shader coat* to do the shading part, then clearcoat over that for several coats.

This is the basic method I use.

4) I believe for a Les Paul the *carved* Maple top is usually 3/4" or 1" thick. 3/4 I believe it to be. If you're doing a pancake flat top, 1/4" is fine.

If you're going to bind the edges and leave the edges natural, you definitely don't want anything thicker than 3/16" or 1/4", or the wood will go below your binding level and look like utter crap.

Now, when you say vintage sunburst, are you asking exactly and specifically the exact colors used by Gibson, or are you just asking how is it done in it's basic form?

The method is one thing, the specific colors you might be looking to use is another thing...

No, I'm gonna do my paint job exactly like Gibson's, except on a double cutaway type thing. I'm planning on carving the top, w/ cream binding, but I won't leave the edges natural. Dangit, this is gonna be more complicated than I thought...... 1/4" isn't thick enough to carve the top, so I guess I'm gonna have to shell out for the 3/4" or something like that....

If you're going to do a carved top, buy yourself some crappy cheap (and soft) wood, cut out your pattern, and do a dummy-up carve job first.

Poplar comes to mind for this.

Learn how to carve a top before you unleash your tools on the real deal. :D

PS, about the colors, well then, since your looking for specifically and exactly the shade Gibson uses, then I can't help, I make my own colors up individually.

But if you're good at eye-matching, you can look at pics and make your own colors up until you 'get it', that's what I do. B)

Yeah, I'm gonna get some crappy wood to practice on. I looked at my dad's LP, and I love it. I AM going to have the back and sides natural, as was his. His top was at least 1/2" though. So would that be really hard to make sure it's 1/4" (or width of binding) all around the edges??? Also, where do you start when you carve? Cause it starts at the edges does a dip (moving toward the center), climbs up, takes a dip, then levels at 1/4". Thanks, for your patience with a Rookie like myself.