Bandsaw motor bit the dust

Skr4ped

The motor on my bandsaw died today. It's off an OLD Craftsman bandsaw (old enough so the whole thing is cast iron). The motor isn't stock, but it's a single phase 1/2HP 1725RPM motor. Me and my dad pulled it apart today and we're pretty sure it's the start capacitor. Instead of replacing the $150 motor we'd like to change the capacitor first. The only problem is we're not sure what to buy. The motor looks similar to this one.

how big is the bandsaw? if you end up replacing the motor i would suggest buying something a bit more powerfull, maybe 1 or 1-1/2 hp,

sorry don't know much about the capacitor, might want to take it to an electrician if you're dad has any electrician friends :D

how big is the bandsaw? if you end up replacing the motor i would suggest buying something a bit more powerfull, maybe 1 or 1-1/2 hp,

sorry don't know much about the capacitor, might want to take it to an electrician if you're dad has any electrician friends :D

It's a 12 inch bandsaw.

We actually got it working, just needed a good cleaning and a new belt. It works MUCH better now B)