broken router bits

krazyderek

I had a 1/4" straight cutter that was nearing the end of it's life, so i wasn't really being carefull with it and just wanted to see if i could do a pickup route in 2 passes. i set it to roughly 13mm (1/2") after i had predrilled most of it, and let looose. About 3/4 of the ways around the perimeter of the route i just felt things get "easier" then it dawned on me, so i stoped the router and looked, sure enough the bit had snapped clear in half. Just goes to show that you should be carefull when routing, especially with very small bits, had this been a brand new bit i would be royaly *non-impressed*.

brokenrouterbit001.jpg

high res pic 1 high res pic 2

hehe, well this wasn't the highest quality bit to start with, so the tip of the cutter has chipped away. The major thing was that it was getting fairly dull from all the hardwood routing. All the wear on the protective (in this case yellow) paint can sometimes be an indicator aswell.

WOW! I once shattered the carbide cutters of a bit routing a pickup in Ash, but I've never had one break in half. When I had my bit shatter, the carbide cutter fragments blasted right through the brass template guide, blowing out the side of it!

when routing always always wear safety glasses....

Imagine that burning a hole in your eye...

UMMMMM...DUH!!!!

I wear safety glasses when using any machinery, usually earmuffs too.

Bandsaw-Glasses/Earmuffs

Drillpress-Glasses

Edgesander-Glasses/Earmuffs

Spindlesander-Glasses

Routers-Glasses/Earmuffs

Palmsanders-Glasses/Earmuffs

I don't wear any safety gear with handdrills unless I'm drilling metal.

well obviously wear safety stuffs (i pity the fool that does it unprotected). but i was saying it as a side note, id be thankfull it wasnt my eye when if that happened to me becuase as dr. jabsco pointed out, if a a brass plate didnt stop it, i wouldnth think a bit of plastic (or worse your skin) wold stop it.

also i got earmuffs for my router since i got annoyed with that ringing that followed me for like 30 minutes folllowing usig the rouiter.

Edited by truerussian558

I also wear gloves with everything excpt the band saw (wouldnt want it to get caught up in there)

I sanded a knuckle once, and learned my lesson. It took 2 months to heal

That can actually be a bad thing. The glove can get caught, and suck your hand into the tool, and not just on the bandsaw - drillpress, belt/disc/spindle sanders, tablesaw. Really any tool could catch the glove.

I've sanded knucles off, and bits of finger tips too. Whats really nasty is doing it on a fresh 60grit belt!

I also wear gloves with everything excpt the band saw (wouldnt want it to get caught up in there)

I sanded a knuckle once, and learned my lesson. It took 2 months to heal

i'm not a big supporter of gloves, i'd just try and keep my hand away from the moving sanpaper next time :D

lukly my bit only broke and fell into one of my predrilling holes, no shattering, not even a dent into my rout... B)

additionaly, if your router doesn't have a built in dust collection port, (like my chicago electric) then you should be wearing a resperator mask

going'a router bit shopping tomorow!!!!!!!

I've used my 3/4" carbide tip bit from harbor freight for about 10 years and I think it's still plenty sharp. But I baby the router and bits compared to how others use them. I don't make the bit take anymore than 1/16" per pass. Often less than that. Yes, it takes longer, but the equipment seems to last much longer and I feel I'm less at risk to get hurt (I once had a table saw repeatedly throw wood into my face like it was possessed). I think the way I do it also helps keep the wood from getting damaged.

With power tools, I like to use them as if I'm driving a Cadillac with a V8 engine only 25mph through a residential neighborhood. When I was much younger I would work the tools pretty hard, like towing a huge boat with an old VW beetle on the freeway at 80mph.