Steve vai finishes?

was wondering if anyone I was wondering if anyone knew how ibanez did the finish on the JEM7DBK and JEM90? i want to build one of these next. I want that textured paint job but not sure how to achive it. Im also going to put emgs in it and leds in the neck. Look at the links below to see what im talking about

Jcm 90

Jem7 dbk

The JEM 90 finish is done by applying a nice hard clear finish that is smooth, then they lay a template over all sides of the body (it's a computer cut vinyl template used for sign making) and it is sand blasted down to the wood, finally they refinish with the bluish silver color to show the texture.

The DBK (I'm assuming) is First sprayed with a matte black and then a shiny black epoxy or something like that is dripped all over the body, I'm sure they have some form of automated system doing it but you can replicate it pretty good this way. The later DBK's are all glossy, they might be using like a truck bed liner or something like that but I'm not sure. The original's with the matte and gloss finish look better though IMO.

I think thoes are actual screws. Or the head at least. I think that because they are counter sunk into the board. But You wouldnt be able to put a real screw in because it would catch on the truss rod if in too deep.

That's not a real screw, or even the screw head.

It's all plastic.

Most likely a piece of paper with the screw head printed on it, placed under a clear plastic dot.

Just like the disappearing pyramids on the Universe guitars.......

I am not completely sure but I could bet that the paint on the dbk is one of those plastic epoxy used on bed liners too. Just not like the one that is sold in spay cans because the textured pattern is smaller than the one profesionaly sprayed, Go to one of those Rino places and check them out. It could be easy to apply on a guitar, you just have to be quick because that stuff sets hard in minutes. You will have to mask the cavities to include the neck pocket and before it dries slowly peel the tapes out. Or just paint and then go over your routes again to clean them. I like the look, Carvin is coming with a finish like this for their guitars and it's available for the bolt on kits. The cool thing about the Rino lining is that it's tintable and you can get it the color you want. unlike the Carvin and the spray can ones that are only black.

? Are they adding an additive to it now? The one in my S-10 was smooth! Almost as smooth as those drop in linners. I would check around because there are a lot other companies that makes then. Or if he have access to a air compressor, he can get the duplicolor one that comes in galons and use that one with an air paint texture gun.

? Are they adding an additive to it now? The one in my S-10 was smooth! Almost as smooth as those drop in linners. I would check around because there are a lot other companies that makes then. Or if he have access to a air compressor, he can get the duplicolor one that comes in galons and use that one with an air paint texture gun.

the ones that give the textured lining have a texture in it...that is what is rough..

I mean like those sand additives that they add to paint like to paint floors do they wont slip. Like the grit on the skateboards. The texture usualy is just raised by the way the paint is shot. The texture paint spits instead of just atomising the paint and since this paint dries fast it lays on textured instead of flowing with the prior coat. This is the way we do the Roofs on houses with the texture gun. I also found that you can modify the top of the texture by running a flat edge before the paint completely cures.

The newer DBK's that are all glossy black sort of look like bed liner, but the DBK finish is rock hard, not like bedliner, the bedliner that looks like a DBK finish is still rubbery.

The original (and way better looking DBK's) are matte black with gloss black texture on it. My guess (and it's only a guess but from the samples I did it looks just like the DBK) is they are dripping black epoxy on the body, I just used the mixing stick that I stirred the epoxy with.

yeap, the spray can bed linner thing dries out kinda rubbery, but the 2 part one that rhino and dimond coat used is rather tough. I need to check in eastwood, but Ithink they have a new epoxy paint that dries hard as a rock, I see on some add on TV somenthing similar used to coat a cement block and trhow it down a few stories and it bounces and maintain the shape.

The problem with bed liner is you have to have a very specific gun to spray it with, hardly worth it for one guitar.

Anyway,

Duff beer man,

No, you didn't read what I said, here it is step by step.

1. Prep the guitar body as you wood for ANY other finish

2. Spray the body a matte black (for any form of durability you will still want to use a GOOD quality matte clear.

3. Mix a BLACK epoxy, not black paint in the epoxy, you can buy black epoxy from stew mac.

4. using the stick you mixed the epoxy with, DRIP the black epoxy onto the finish. This will dry a gloss black and end up being nice and hard giving you that road tar crud finish like the DBK.