electric strings on an acoustic?

i was wondering would ther be any harmful effects by putting electric guitar strings onto a steel string acoustic?i love D'Addario Chromes but i cant find anything similar for my acoustic so i was thinking "couldnt i just put a set of chromes on my acoustic"? so ya any harmful effects that might oocur

acoustic strings are made thicker. if you put electric strings on the neck bow wont be right. if you notice, electric strings bend easily, acoustic strings are harder and pulled more taught. im not really an expert, but i can tell you that much. i think it could work, but from past experience, it sounds horrible. it will sound dead.

Strings for acoustics are usually made a little different than strings for an electric. Besides the obvious unwound-G (although the only strings you could get until Ernie Ball came around were railroad tracks with wound-Gs), the metals, number of winds, tension and the profile of the strings is going to be much different. Such as phosphor-bronze coated strings for acoustics vs. plain steel for electrics. The strings are just going to sound different, maybe a little more trebly and less boomy. Some people would call that a thin sound, others may find it perfect on a piezo-equipped guitar.

Anyways, it never hurts to experiment. You never know if you'll like the sound unless you try it. Besides, it's not like you're taking a router to the guitar or throwing a set of non-returnable custom pickups at it either. The only thing you'll be out, if you don't like the sound, is a set of $5.00 strings.

Strings for acoustics are usually made a little different than strings for an electric. Besides the obvious unwound-G (although the only strings you could get until Ernie Ball came around were railroad tracks with wound-Gs), the metals, number of winds, tension and the profile of the strings is going to be much different. Such as phosphor-bronze coated strings for acoustics vs. plain steel for electrics. The strings are just going to sound different, maybe a little more trebly and less boomy. Some people would call that a thin sound, others may find it perfect on a piezo-equipped guitar.

Yes, they use diferent materials, but it's still a round wire wrapped around a round or hex core that combines to a given gauge. Apparently, tension DOES change based on these differences. According to D'addario at :

http://www.daddariostrings.com/Resources/J...nsion_chart.pdf

On a .052 string tuned to E, Nickel wound string is 22.0, steel is 23.0, 80/20 acoustic bronze is 24.3, and Phosphor bronze is 25.2 lbs! I thought there might be some slight but negligable variation, but not this...

ya ok so as long as theres not a big chance of harmful effects.....i didnt think there would be but i liek to double check things, plus i just got this guitar in june as a graduation gift from my rents so it has alot o sentimental value and i want to keep it in good condition

I have had many a guitar student who needed to start with electric strings on the acoustic. It won't hurt anything, a truss rod adjustment probably will need to be made but nothing more.

Basically the only guitar you CAN'T put steel strings of any type on is a classical, the bracing simply will not hold up to it when designed for nylon strings.

I think you're right, cuz I just looked it up. But, I remember he was on '60 minutes' and said " it's a classical guitar, but I put steel strings on, which you're not supposed to do".

But it seems others know Willie's guitars better than he does

http://www.martinguitar.com/artists/display_artist.php?d=28

I don't understand the part about the "hemp covered case". Hemp and Willie, I don't get the connection.

Now you got me thinking about the opposite. What about acoustic strings on a strat. Would that be stupid ? Might be, but I just have this feeling it's something I should try.

They might have a nice tone, but they aren't as magnetic as electric strings, so the wound-plain balance might be off. But then, IIRC there was a copper coated string a while back that was supposed to have a piano-like quality to it, and copper isn't magnetic either...