Unglueing Wood

wing

Hey ive just done a scarf joint with some titebond wood glue but im not 100% happy with it as it has some unglued areas as the two surfaces are not absolutely square. I figured i need to redo it so is there any way i can unglue the join without damaging the wood too much?

Cheers everyone

you can heat and steam the joint with a regular household iron, but you're leaving yourself open to warping with all that moisture, not to mention trying to clean up each surface afterwards. For a part that critial i would just call that scrap and start over with some new wood.

If it's a scarf joint, you may have room to just bandsaw it open and re-plane it. I don't know how much excess wood you left for yourself at the butt end of the neck or how thick the headstock is, but you could also try to get the blade to only remove material from one side or the other depending on which piece had excess material.

I dont have a band saw, i tried heating it but the glue wont budge. I really dont want to scrap it so do you think its a pretty good join? Ill post some pics to show you to see if you think it will hold

Actually i got a better idea..........a hairdryer! Does anyone have any experience with this method?

Edited by wing

A hairdryer would probably do more to bake the glue than loosen it.

Steam, on the other hand, will soften the glue and the wood... which has it's pros and cons. If it did loosen the glue, you would still have to remove all of the glue in order to get a good (new) bond. Plus, it would at least raise the grain on the part that you have already sanded, and (as previously mention) it may actually distort the wood. Hence, you could create more work by trying to recycle the part then if you just cut it off and started from scratch.

A coping saw could be good, because you would have a lot of control during the cut, thus reducing the risk of cutting into the wrong part. If you take your time and cut slowly, you might be able to cut along the joint and only shave a little off of each piece. (I'm taking it for granted that you're talking about the scarf joint between the head and the neck.)

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

I had a scarf joint looking ugly and slightly off. I knew this within 12 hours of doing it and taking clamps off. It was my morning check of the overnight clamping/gluing.

So, I used my paint stripper heat gun to help loosen it ...and it came apart.

I did not use water/steam (although that is best to loosen hide glue or titebond joints).

I think it worked because I did not wait too long before doing this

-- joe