Electronics assistance needed.....

Gigabyte

This is my first post here so first of all I'd like to say hello! I am currently working on a guitar body I built..... It's basically a Joe Satriani with an RG neck (had to comensate a little so everything would work together....

Anyway what I'd like to know is how can I make a 2 conductor wire into a 3 or 4 wire..... I saw a thread a couple of posts down in this forum but didn't understand it because I know nothing about what color wires mean what; ground, signal, etc....

The way the pickup is set up is each coil has one black, each soldered to each other,,,,, Each coil has two white wires, one white is soldered to the plate and the other white wire goes out along with a bare wire (from the plate into the control cavity (plastic shielded together). How do I split this up into 3 or 4 wires. BTW this is an Ibanez neck pickup out of an RG220..... It's a PSND1 or 2, can't remember which is which..

Lastly, I checked out the Ibanez JS 100 and 1000 wiring diagrams and both guitars use a 331pF capacitor on the volume but I can not find one at guitar center or Radio Shack !?! They even let me open the back of a JS1000 to see what was in there and it said 331pf on it....... I end up just picking out the capacitors that looked to be about the same size since the other two types they had were huge. They say "104" on them whatever that means. What the heck do i need? Anyone know?

Oh yeah, one more thing. Is there any difference between using copper wire to wire up a guitar; I noticed all the wiring in guitars seem to have silver colored wire!?!

Sorry to ask so many questions right off the bat.... I just didn't want to start post whoring all over the place.... Thanks for any help you can give me...

Fred

P.S. Here is the JS100 wiring diagram which is how I'm trying to wire it up....

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2004&w=JS100

Edited by Gigabyte

You will need a 330 pF cap and a .022 µF cap for that wiring diagram. Radio Shack carries a .022µF (272-1066), but you'll have to go to a real electronics store to find the 330pF. The 104 marked caps (.1µF) is too big to be useful in this circuit.

The only way to add the coil split is to disassemble and rewire the actual pickups (see the recent can I split a 2-conductor wire humbucker? thread). AFAIK, The Powersound series were all two conductor.

The reason the wire you see is silver colored is because it's tinned (coated) with solder. HTH

Thanks for replying. The post you mentioned is the one I was refering to..... I read it a couple of time and ended up just running all the wires out so now I have 5 wires( 2 white, 2 black, and the bare wire (ground I guess). I did some rigging and found that if I hook the ground up and any one of the other 4 wires I can make one coil or the other work......

What I don't know now is which ones are "start" and "finish" wires. Also considering one coil works with just one wire and the ground what do I do with the other wire for that coil. What's the purpose of the "start" wire specifically and the "finish" since either will make the coil work........... Sorry to sound so stupid but I really haven't played with pickups other than following manufacturer's instruction not knowing what wire actually does what and just soldering crap up like it says.......

Thanks for the info on the caps. I already have a .022µF from the factory RG tone pot out of the old body so I'll just take it off and solder it to the tone push-pot now that I know.....

Edited by Gigabyte

OK, I was confused by the color codes - I'm used to seeing Ibanez use the RD/WT/GN/BK wires like DiMarzios. If I'm following what you've said, this should work:

Hook the white wire connected to the pickup base to the shield and connect both like the shield connection in your JS diagram. Reconnect the two black wires and connect that like the red wire in the diagram, and connect the other white wire like the white wire in the diagram. That should give you what you need. If it doesn't, you'll have to use a multimeter to identify the leads on the pickup.