to shave.. or not to shave..

Gnome

I have a late-model SG standard. I was thinking of sanding the neck down. I've been playing my friends strat lately, and i just seem to fly on that neck, whereas on the SG it just seems like my hand is impeded by the paint. Maybe it's just me. Also, I've seen an interview where Zakk Wylde raves about how he's sanded down all his necks. Has anyone done this?

I'd like to hear some comments about playability.

Yes I recommend that too. Rubbing a steel wool or sand a little with extra fine grits, like 1200 grit. I think 600 grit will be too coarse on a high gloss finish if you care how the transition areas look.

That will give you the slippery feel on Fender necks. The finish on late Fender necks are "satin" lacquer.

Yes sand it lightly first, do a little with 600 and them jump up to 800-1000. you can finish with 0000 steel wool like Wes pointed, this will look better than only with sandpaper. If you like it better then you can decide if you want it like that or then shave it completely, if it feels the same then you just have to sand up to 2000 and polish it again. the shape on the neck have a lot to do with your playing too, so it might be that your hand feel at home in the strat and not on the SG, I have done this before, so have a few people here so is up to you!

i would not even touch the sandpaper...the steel wool actually works faster,even though it is a finer "grit"(mesh?)

you can steel wool a neck baby smooth in less than 5 minutes

i can't reccomend shaving it completely...that finish is there for a reason(to keep moisture out) and oiled necks have a higher failure rate than hard finished necks(according to warmoth)

I can't reccomend shaving it completely...that finish is there for a reason(to keep moisture out) and oiled necks have a higher failure rate than hard finished necks(according to warmoth)

This is very true. and it will be ok with the steel wool only, just that I don't like working with it too much, need to learn not to make gauges with it, I get too impatient and press too hard.