Help a newbie

jvh4

Well, I have decided to try tackeling the intimidating task of building my own guitar. I've done a significant amount of research, but I have quickly realized that I do not know as much about guitars as you folks all do. If nyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

More specifically, I am a bit weary about my neck. I will more than likely order a custom neck from Warmoth. This will increse the cost, but unless I'm mistaken building my own neck would be a mess. However, I am a bit concerned about getting a neck that will be compatible with my guitar.

I have the option of a straight head and an angled head. Im not sure which is preferrable, and what compatibilty issue either could cause. For example, if im not mistaken the bridge and neck could have some compatibility issues.

Thank you all for the help.

as said in the above post, headstock angle is simply personal preference.

As for building a neck, I found that to be easier than building the body. I don't know why but I felt much more under control while building the neck.

If you want a tune o matic bridge then you will need either a neck angle, or you can reccess the bridge into the body. Contrary to what has been said above, a neck nagle can be done just fine on a bolt on and is done all of the time.

Thanks for the help. I guess my guitar is more similar to a strat. I was planning to do bolt on neck. I think id rather not recess the bridge though, so i will prob go strat style bridge.. I have another question. The guitar i have now has a tremelo, but i dont like the floating bridge (springs that get stretched and cause hassle). Is there anyway to have a tremelo without a floating bridge?

I'm not arguing with you. I have no doubt that you know how to do it. I am not explaining it to you. I'm explaining it to him. I don't want him to be discouraged from using a TOM because he thinks the neck angle would be too much to handle.

Realy? No kidding, when he said warmoth bolt on neck, you shoulda picked up on that like everyone else would have that it would be a strat style bridge and thats why going and explaining the neck angle and tom would be redundant hence the term..................opening a can of worms :D

I fail to see your point on this one. You can certainly use a warmoth neck for a TOM bridge. the neck itslef has nothing to do with it. Its the neck pocket that is angled.

I wanted to interrupt the back and forth with another floating trem option.

4. screw the trem down so that its back rests on the body and use 4 springs.

I would say that is the easiest option, and as I never pull back, and only use the trem for a slight effect, it is also what I do on my strats.

lucky1..i deleted all your argumentative trash...you are the one who needs to take some extra time to think before you post,not chris...this is your warning

chris...good job of keeping on a civilized level.i know it is tough when some fool is trying to be the "bigger man"

anyway...neck angle is no tougher to do than anything else...if you can do a perfectly flat neck pocket,then you can do an angled one.do what is right for the guitar you are building,not what someone else claims is easier