Sealing Ash and Tung oil

GREGMW

Hi,

I have a Ash body and a maple neck which I am thinking uf using a Tung oil finish on (Any suggesteions) but I was wondering before I use the oil should I use a grain sealer on the Ash?

Does the oil finish come up alright? When I apply it should I buff it after its dry?

Any other info or links.

Thanks

Greg

It depends on how you apply the Tung Oil.

Some people just sand down the wood until they get to 300 grit, then apply a couple coats of oil. If that's what you want, it's easy and it's painless... and you end with something that looks like it doesn't have any finish on it.

I start applying Tung Oil after I've worked my way down to 120 grit, and it is also a grain filler. I will apply the oil 3-7 times, letting it soak in each time, before walking away and letting it dry. Then I sand, and apply Tung Oil, and sand, and apply Tung Oil, until I have a surface that is as smooth as glass. I apply one or two thin coats to add gloss to the project, then wax it..

You CAN build up Tung Oil to look like a clear-coat type finish, but I feel like it's pointless. If you want a deep clear finish on top of your wood that is hard, use lacquer or varnish or soemthing like that.

If you want a "natural" look, use Tung Oil, and apply it one of the ways described above.

Add the usual disclaimer about "this is just my opinion, and is subject to personal taste..."

D~s

Thanks Dugz,

I presume that after the Tung Oil dries its not "oily"?

What about the Maple neck?Would that come up OK .

Should I buff the body & neck after the last coat?

I dont want a "gloss" finish but a natural look with a bit of sheen.

Thanks

Greg