fretboard swap

If you have a neck you really like except it is too small at the nut (like 1 5/8"), could you remove the fretboard and replace, with say a 1 and 3/4" one? I realize this would create 1/16" overhang on each side of the nut, but is there any harm in sanding this on an angle? Fretboards are generally square in this respect, ie: a 1 3/4" fretboard is 1 3/4" at the top and bottom, in this case, it would be 1 5/8" at the bottom and 1 3/4" at the top.

Thanks

I would not recommend doing such a thing... the feeling of riding your hand against such an odd shape might be very distracting... you will porbably find that it is very much a pain in the arse.......... however if you have time and money to spare, and the instrument that you wish to guinea pig on is not worth much money or sentimentl value then go for it

PEace,\Ryan

I'm not sure if this would be possible, but would there be some way you could attach extra wood around the nut area so you could in fact re-carve that area of the neck to match the new fretboard? The only way I could see doing this would be to remove the fretboard, splice a new piece of wood in between the neck and the headstock, and re-carve the area.

If you're willing to try the overhanging fretboard, I say go for it. It just sound really uncomfortable to me.

I agree, an overhanging fretboard would likely be uncomfortable. But that's not what I meant. I wish I knew how to do the CAD drawings, but I don't. I meant taper the fretboard. Imagine looking at the nut end of a typical fretboard. This is a rectangle, 1 5/8" by 1/4". Now imagine same view, but looking at a parallellogram, with 1 5/8" base, slightly more than 1/4" sides (due to angle), and a 1 3/4" top. Of course, you really couldn't view it like this, as the angle would have to be cut after the board was glued down.

By all means if you think it will be worth it then go for it... I would never want to stop anyone from experimenting with such a thing... I jus wanted to make sure that you ahve fully considered the outcome of such an arduous undertaking- IMO I would build a new instrument from scratch before I would do expand the width of a fretboard like you have in mind. If you decide to do it, please keep us informed I am very curious to see how it comes out. And yes a 1/8 makes quite a difference in the feel of string spacing. Good luck to you, let us know if you have any difficulties along the way.

PEace,

Ryan

You can get a wider string spacing on a guitar by other means. If you were going to replace a board just for that I think it's silly. From a comfort standpoint you also need to remember that most fretboards taper back in as they approach the playing surface. So you'd be tapering it in the opposite direction. One way to widen the usable playing surface is to refret, using a much more vertical angle on the fret end. It requires more dressing effort on the fret end. You have to spend more time rounding the edges of the crest, but not round over the edge at the playing surface because that will make it easier to fall off when fretting the outside strings. You can gain at least 3/32" depending on what your frets are like now. Then just replace the nut. Otherwise the effort will be greater than building a new neck IMO. It would also be greater than what I percieve as the value of a new neck from Warmoth or otherwise.