Body design question

Dugz Ink

I've read about keeping enough wood around/below the bridge to provide a good sound, but what about around the neck? How does that wood affect the sound?

If you built a bass like this, how might it sound?

dugz-bass-01.gif

Your opinons are appreciated.

D~s

EDIT: Yes, I realize the neck is a little short...

Edited by Dugz Ink

Try it and see. That is what it is all about. IMHO the only thing that the upper horn is used for is to balance the the guitar while playing standing, so it is not too neck heavy. The lower horn is just asthetics and balance. I would build it without the horns. Again just MHO. The old lutes had a similar design, so it is some what a proven design.

The old lutes had a similar design, so it is some what a proven design.

That's what I was thinking. I just add the two arms (horns) so you could attach a strap to the top arm and play standing up, or rest the bottom arm on your leg and play sitting down.

D~s

I just add the two arms (horns) so you could attach a strap to the top arm and play standing up, or rest the bottom arm on your leg and play sitting down.

D~s

If you only put the upper arm on for a strap lock you could put it on the back of the neck at the body/neck joint and eliminate the arm. The bottom......you would need that I guess if it's going to be a sitter........or you could just play it standing.

Looks cool though. Try her out and give us a look see at the real thing!

What are you going to make them out of?

I've been looking at the lute shape and thinking about brass or wrought iron... something that looks "olde". I think a darker metal would be a good accent for a light wood (like Maple) but a bright metal would look good on a dark wood (like Cocobolo).

However, since I'm just getting started on my first project, I'm just doing the planning and designing on this one... so it may be several months before I start cutting wood for it. That gives me time to research and think.

I'm too old to dive in before checking the water.

D~s