Glueing a neck into a pocket

G_urr_A

I've heard that glueing a bolt on neck in its pocket would be sufficiently strong to hold it there, but I'm wondering how it would hold up if I was to try and shape the heel like a neckthrough (or even worse). I doubt it would work, but I'm not sure.

So what I'm trying to ask is

1. Would it work just glueing it in there?

2. What could be done to make it work?

One idea that popped up in my head is to rout out two channels in the neck, parallel to the truss rod, and glue in quartersawn pieces of some strong hard wood, and then glueing those into corresponding routs on the body (and glueing the neckpocket, obviously) and then shaping it. But I don't know...

I would think you would want more than the standard 3/4" depth of a fender style neck for gluing. I might be wrong though. What would be the advantage of gluing it in if you still had the chunky fender heel?

Fender neck route depth is 5/8". I think the bulky heel is what they are attempting to eliminate. Personally, instead of messing with a guitar that's already built, I'd just build another one with a neckthru, or setneck designed to be carved away. I think Most ways of carving it down will probably wind up unattractive and possibly weaken the neck joint significantly.

The reason I would like to do what I asked about is that I have a neck that I really like, but I have no simple way of getting a neckthrough neck, and I don't have the economy and/or time to get fretting tools and learn to do a proper fret job. Plus, I'd be wasting the neck I have (and I can't really sell it; there's no easily accesible market for such things).

And yes, bulky heel elimination is very much the point of it all.