building a guitar and I need some wood info

Iam starting A new guitar and iam useing Padauk for the back and Ive never worked with it in such a large way before and I was woundering if I could get some info or helpful tips and hint's

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Padauk (Pterocarpus indicus)

Padauk is a south east Asian tree with reddish wood that can have a mottled or striped black grain. The wood of this tree is used mainly for decorative cabinetwork but has become increasingly popular as the wood used for exotic electric guitar and bass bodies because of its tonal characteristics and luxurious appearance.

I have used it on one of my gunstocks. It's harder than American Walnut, but not as hard as Cocobolo. The sanding dust isn't the worst that I've smelled, but it definitely qualifies as "malodorous" ... I would recommend some ventilation. Of course, I always recommend a decent mask; not the little paper thingies, but a real canister-style respirator. Your lungs will thank you in the morning.

It looks orange as you're sanding it, but will develop a nice red tone after sand it down with emery cloth and apply finish. With the right finish on the right piece of Padauk, it can develop shiny bands in the wood grain... sort of like the shimmer in "fiddleback"... but it runs with the grain instead of across the grain. (I have only used tung oil, which usually enhances these types of grain-effects.)

I would strongly recommend taking your time, and use good clear finish on this wood.

The results can be absolutely staggering!

D~s

With the right finish on the right piece of Padauk, it can develop shiny bands in the wood grain... sort of like the shimmer in "fiddleback"... but it runs with the grain instead of across the grain. (I have only used tung oil, which usually enhances these types of grain-effects.)

That is exalty what mine is like I have never seen figering Like this Its like the stone tigerseye if you know what that looks like :D its hard to explain If I

can get some pics I will show it to you thanks for the info

!!METAL MATT!!

Its like the stone tigerseye

YES! It has the exact same shimmer as you turn it from left to right! The only difference is that the color ranges from orangish-red to dried-blood-red, instead of yellow to gold. (Well... color-wise. It's wood, not stone, so it's also easier to cut.)

So how big is this piece, and how much did it set you back?

D~s

YES! It has the exact same shimmer as you turn it from left to right! The only difference is that the color ranges from orangish-red to dried-blood-red, instead of yellow to gold. (Well... color-wise. It's wood, not stone, so it's also easier to cut.So how big is this piece, and how much did it set you back)

well I cut the piece in two parts and glued them so I ended up with a with of about

26in wide 29in long at 2in think after surffice sanding It set me back about

37.00 bucks not bad B) . I will be useing it to build an offset flying-V so I need the width the only down side is there will be alot of waist but I should find some use for it a friend of mine who owns the shop I work in make's handmade smokeing pipes with my left overs I think it's a fare trade he gets my waist I get full use of his shop any time day or night :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

HA HA HA HA sick mind man I love that :D yes I ment waste don't mack fun ovf may splin plose. B) HA HA HA HA

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!