First refinish - Colorchanging paint

very cool, that duplicolor is the flip flop paint with the sparkle in it???

how did that stuff work, did it dry good and what not, how many coats did you use, whatd you use for clear over the top of it

also how many cans did you use and how much did they cost

yes im thinkin bout using that stuff on a guitar ill be building this winter so any help would be appreciated

MzI

Yep, that's the flip flop paint. I got 2 kits of the stuff, used about 1.5 cans of primer, then 2 cans of color and 2 cans of clear. In total, the paint was about 60 bucks Canadian. Takes forever to cure, and dont even think of putting it down on anything. It must be hung or you will have a nice imprint of whatever it is laying down on. As you can tell, it sanded/buffed out to a very nice shine without too much trouble and I would certainly recommend it if you have the patience! Any more questions, just ask!

It will take less than that the one that takes for ever to dry is the clear! the black base coat and the mirage color dries pretty fast, also dust your coats, if not the changing abilities decreases. And on a last note, go easy on the clear, I have found that the duplicolor will go on thick and won't run, but if you do this it will take for ever to cure! I still get marks on my strat once in a while and I ain't taking chances with the LP. I love that mirage stuff, might be using it again for my next project. I will advise if you use the duplicolor clear to go very thin on your coats, I will try on the next one to do a coat a day and a thin one, this will hopefully help the paint cure faster, and I will rather take me 2 weeks to paint the whole thing than 4 days and have it hanging on the house for 6 more weeks. (the strat was painted about 3 months now and the tripod still makes marks on the body!) If you want to see mine here is the thread link

hey maiden, did you use a black base on yours, is it really necessary, im prolly gonna use the mirage, but ill use regular automotive 2 part primer and 2 part clear which dries much faster

MzI

Yes you have to use the black base, its a matte color because the mirage system needs to absorb the light to reflect the different colors, if the base was lighter it will only act as a pearl type of paint.

Since you are using 2 part poly, here is a link to ALSA CorpMystic Chameleon. Once you are done drooling at those colors go to their home page, they have an awsome variety of paint and as soon as I get my Compressor and gun I will be buying from them to test them out. I think that Jeremy have some experience with their products, and I think that Jay Lenos bike or that Buick he have was painted with them.

ALSA Corp

i think it's fine to spray more clear coats if you feel the can(s) included in the kit aren't enough. but you have to stick to a similar paint (i think both krylon mystique and duplicolor mirage are lacquer based).

Yes the can supplied with the kit is not enough to do more than 1 or 2 coats! They are 2 different types, the Krylon is a carbon whatever, (I can't find the e-mail they sent me) and the Dupli is Acrylik , I will stay away from Krylon if I were you, I used their triple glaze crap and it bubbled up with the afternoon sunlight in less than an hour, never had a problem with the Duplicolor, not even on the thickest of coats!

I feel you, but remember that you pay for the quality, and that you don't need that much for a guitar, all I have use for now is Duplicolor is great bang for the buck, but the longevity of the finish on the 2 part paints is somenthing that I am looking foward too. ALSA is as pricey as HOK, so it's not a bad deal.