Belt + Disc Sander Combination: Delta Or Ryobi

Bmachine

I have been wanting a small bench sander for a while. I do mainly solid body electrics but I don't do enough volume to require an expensive machine.

I noticed that Delta has a decent looking one (SA446 - $100 at Lowes) and Ryobi has a decent looking one (BD4600 - $87 at Home Despot). The Ryobi is a little more powerful (4.3amps vs 4amps), a little cheaper and a little heavier. But I like Delta's designs and warranties better in general.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this type of tools?

Thanks very much.

Bo

Delta link:

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=834

Ryobi link:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/product....cat=4&toolcat=2

I have had the Craftsman, 4.2 AMPS 2/3HP, for some years now, it is a great, reliable sander, nice heavy/sterdy construction, never had any problems with it. It was actually my first real tool I purchased when I new I wanted to continue with guitar building.

Thanks Lex.

I bought the Ryobi one over the weekend. I really like it a lot. Much heavier cast iron body and a little more powerful than the Delta.

I saw the Sears one on sale this morning for $87 also. It looks pretty nice too. Actually it looks like the Delta with a more powerful motor.

It's funny about these HP / amps claims. I remember reading someplace that HP is mainly a marketing gag and really doesn't mean anything. The amps are supposedly the more accurate description of a motor's power. If so, it might explain why the Craftsman is rated at 2/3Hp and 4.2 amps while the Ryobi is at 1/2HP 4.3 amps.... Otherwise it oesn't make any sense.

Does anyone one know more about that?

Edited by Bmachine