Has anyone ordered alder body blanks from stewmac recently? I bought a couple of them over a year ago and they were two-piece (which is great for me). I bought another last week and ended up with a 5 piece. I probably could have asked for a two-piece but I honestly didn't expect anything more than a 3 piece worst case.

Is this just the way they have been all along or is this a recent thing?

Their picture shows a two piece. I'd Email them and question them about showing a two piece and mailing out a five piece ((bait and switch?) especially with their overpricing)). I know i'd be pissed if they did that to me.

Go get 'em. :D

Stew Mac's customer service is incomparable - if you contact them and query it, they will most likely offer an exchange or refund, they really do believe in keeping the customer happy. I have no idea if a 5 piece is par for the course or just bad luck.

Guest AlexVDL

I know Coen once bought a figured maple neck blank, but it was very soft maple. The whole board bent very easily, so he e-mailed them and they sent a new blank for free.

I guess their customer service is excellent :D

Stew Mac's customer service is incomparable - if you contact them and query it, they will most likely offer an exchange or refund, they really do believe in keeping the customer happy. I have no idea if a 5 piece is par for the course or just bad luck.

i agree...they have always gone the extra mile for me...they always combine all the mutiple orders i make over the weekend....i always forget something and have to go back an hour later,but they never forget to combine them and i never have to even ask.

tsl said once they replaced a neck blank he was unhappy with,no questions asked,and didn't even ask for the faulty one back

OK, thanks for the replies.

I have had nothing but great service from them. A while ago, I got a mostly brown ebony board form them - called and asked if I could return it for a darker one and they just sent me one (without needing to send mine back!). They are great.

I will probably still use it but my next project was going to be a dyed/stained body so the 5 piece just wouldn't look too cool. I'll save it for a painted body project someday.

Thanks guys.

I've had nothing but great experiences using Stew Mac. I'd call them back like others have suggested and see why you got a 5 piece though. They should correct it if your not satisfied. I had a big order one time and I had ordered the 3 DVD Fretting Video's and when I got my package in, I only had one included. I was mad, I called them and told them what wasn't sent and they said keep that video and they sent me the 3 I originally ordered next day air. Now, that is what I call great service. Sure they may be slightly high, but they are people who will go the extra mile if something goes wrong.

HA HA Perry here is one that someone might post:

Stu Mac makes so much money on they stuff they sell that they give away the second piece for free because they are still making money on it...

Happy customers do buy more. I complained about fretwire once and they sent me some replacement wire no questions asked. Does have great service...

Well it doesn't say anywhere on the site that they are supposed to be two piece. I personally think StewMac is the place to buy tools, not wood.

Only problem I've had was a slotted mandolin fingerboard had the slots only cut 1/3 the way into the board, not deep enough when radiused, but I just cut them deeper and never said anything about it.

Yes, I realize that they don't say how many pieces - I only wanted to see if this is how they normally sell it. I very rarely buy body blanks from them but the two previous blanks (over a year ago) were two-piece. I'm going to keep it for a painted body project.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative but I wasn't looking for other sources for alder, nor am I saying that stewmac is my main source for wood (I normally buy locally for body and neck blanks) - I just wanted to know if others have had the same experience.

Thanks again.