Presidency

StratDudeDan

Who would you like to see become the next American president?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well another little myth. When our shcool has the mock elections, there right 98% of the time. This year the freshman chose Kerry, Sophmores Kerry, Juniors Bush and Senoirs Kerry. Overall Kerry had 52% Bush 47% and Nader 5%...i was one of those 5%'s :D

Now if statistics show, Kerry will serve 4 years and Bush will go choke on more pretzles :DB)

something on the lines of 52 entrants for Miss America and 2-1/2 to run the United States Goverment go figure :D

What kills me is the longest runner to vote for is Nader, Ok there's probably a few who vote for him cause the other choices are not in that particular persons best interest.

Just so everyone knows I didn't read the whole thread if those two topics have already been covered.........

the sheer number of lawyers already lining up for voter fraud/miscount errors is staggering...and they're still picking up more people the night before...man...

as for results, we get the official count at 1 AM in IL, i dunno about the rest of the country, but our votes start getting counted when the polls close (9 or 10...), then we get nothing but "unofficial" counts until 1. and i have only seen one election where the votes from the unofficial were more than 3 votes away from the official.

Tennessee has "early voting" (as well as voting on the normal day); this year it was October 18-28. Davidson County (which includes Nashville) has 3.5 Million registered voters. As of last Saturday, 1.5 Million people had already voted.

One of my co-workers just came in, after voting this morning. The polls opened at 7am, and the line was already over ½ an hour long.

That's an incredible turn out, especially since our choices are so bad.

Out of ¼ of a Billion citizens, you'd think we could find at least 1 great candidate.

D~s

as of this morning, more people have voted than have in the past 40 years in any given election. if the same numbers come out for the evening, it will break EVERY voting record in american history.

which is good and bad.

good: people are actually figuring out how much their vote counts.

bad: the country is going to stand hardcore divided on this for quite some time now. they're not voting "for" someone, they voting "against" the other one.

they're not voting "for" someone, they voting "against" the other one

I just saw Brian Williams on NBC give some numbers on exactly that point; I'm off a few points, but it broke down something like this:

Republicans:

vote "for Bush" 83%

vote "against Kerry" 17%

Democrats:

vote "for Kerry" 60%

vote "against Bush" 40%

What does this say? It says that the Republicans feel better about their guy than the Democrats do about theirs.

George Bush screws up the war....and still gets re-elected.

It takes more than one person to "screw up" a war.

The military planners got too cocky, thinking they could use their smart-bombs to win the war. They didn't take into account all of the zealots who would strap explosives to their chests and die for Allah. They didn't send enough people in to do a satisfactory job of holding key locations. Asalways, the soldiers gave 100% and the planners didn't.

Bush was drunk and AWOL during much of his "military career". I'm not saying that to put him down; it was true of a lot of people during Vietnam. I bring it up to make the point that Bush does NOT have any real military experience, but the advisors and planners (people he was not responsible for hiring or promoting) should have enough experince to forsee these types of problems and make better recommendations to the President.

Bush has made some mistakes, but you can't blame him for everything that has gone wrong. Like I said, it takes more than one person... and that also applies to unemployment, the economy, and the federal deficit.

D~s

ll just start off saying I'm a hardcore Bush man. I do think the democrats could've taken the election with anyone other than John Kerry. Kerry is the most liberal senator period. When you get called more liberal than Kennedy, you know you're pretty darn liberal. I think in nominating Kerry, the democrats alienated many independant voters, and a few more conservative democrats. It's the equivalent of republicans nominating Falwell, in my opinion.

I have to say Kerry has earned some respect from me (I still disagree with just about everything he says) by conceeding. I think there are lesser men that would've made this a long, drawn out nightmare.

Don't want to be contentious here, but as Commander-In-Chief, the President is ultimately and absolutely responsible for the strategic actions of our military. Blaming the current situation on military planners is at best disingenuous, and very much like Ashlee Simpson blaming the band.

Hey I voted for the man (Bush); I'm just saying he won despite his handling of the war situation (and PR is really where it went wrong). I spent long enough in Boston (5 years) to learn that a Massachusetts Democrat is the last person I want in the White House.

My wife and I were musing last night that Howard Dean probably would have taken it...if he'd not been such a spaz for those 60 seconds during the primaries.

Blaming the current situation on military planners is at best disingenuous, and very much like Ashlee Simpson blaming the band.

??????????????????

Contentious isn't the word I would use... but I'll leave it that.

D~s

I'm moving to Canada.

i'll meet you there.

Don't want to be contentious here, but as Commander-In-Chief, the President is ultimately and absolutely responsible for the strategic actions of our military. Blaming the current situation on military planners is at best disingenuous, and very much like Ashlee Simpson blaming the band.

I absolutely agree. He, even IF the failures weren't directly a result from one of his decisions, must take responsiblity for failures as well as victories.

Contentious isn't the word I would use... but I'll leave it that.

Am I to assume then that you believe that Tommy Franks and the Joint Chiefs recommended that we sideline the hunt for Osama Bin Laden (the guy who actually orchestrated 9/11) so we could invade Iraq and depose Saddam Hussein? I personally don't believe that, but if it were true, it would certainly diffuse the President's direct responsibility somewhat. However, it still would not excuse his taking action without a clear plan for withdrawal, and the lives lost while they try to find a way out are on his head, just like the lives lost in Mogadishu (what a stupid political expediency!) should weigh heavily on Bill Clinton's shoulders. If anyone can show me a logical, compelling reason for invading Iraq, I'll take it all back, but I haven't seen anything yet. :D