Limba Tele

Here is a picture of my Black Limba Tele.

Specs:

The body: Black Limba

Neck: Taken from an old Tele that I have at home

PU: Rio Grande (Muy Grande) both Neck and Bridge

Scale: 25.5

Front fiew-brdge route

I am finally making some progress. I have had the body sitting around the house for about a month or so- no time to do work.

Today I was able to mount the bridge, route the bridge pu and the control cavity on the back.

I plan on routing the neck tomorrow if time permits. I plan to mount the neck pickup from the rear. Has anyone done this? Any war stories? I want to do this so that the ears of the pu do not show. I plan to trace the top of the pu on the front of the body. I will then route all the way through. Once completed and the correct height is decided, I will route from the back using a template from stew mack.

More pictures to follow. Also here is the link to the picture of the back. My Webpage As you can see I was a bit undecided on the shape for the control cavity. Oh well, the cover will hide the mess (I hope B) ).

I have a Koa/mahog body that is collecting dust, but this is my first attempt to complete a project. Figured I would be more upset if I screwed the koa project :D

Bill

Well I had a little bit of time today to do some more work on this project. I have posted a few extra pictures to the website below.

Today, I worked on routing the neck pu. As previously noted, my hope is to mount the pu from the rear, thus limiting the amount of routing on the front (I do not want a pick guard). Therefore, I flipped the pu over and traced the top of it onto the front of the guitar. From there, I used my plunge router to cut a hole all of the way through the body. After this was completed, I flipped the guitar over and taped a template on the back and began to route the back. I routed this to the point wheere the pu could sit flush with the body. I will finish the routing once I have strung the guitar to decide the correct height. The last thing I did was take two long drill bits (1/8 then a 3/16) and drill from the control cavity to the neck pu.

As the pictures show, I have made some mess ups along the way, but most should be sanded out or covered with a little bit of filler. So far I am happy with my progress.

Bill

My Webpage

Nice body wood.

I would not do what you did with the neck pkp in fear that you will weaken the neck joint by routing all the way thru the body near directly in front of the neck heel.

You're not giving the neck a whole lot of stability doing that I think.

Scares me actually.

Nice enough job tho, and a good idea on the face of it.

You can take any pkp router template and modify/downsize it to the point where it will barely be any bigger than the pkp itself. :D

Some beautiful Black Limba you got there. I agree with others and don't like the idea of p-up routed through body (so close to neck). Your guitar wouldn't brake so easily, but just the idea of weakening this important area of guitar, just scares me.

And p-up (looked at it from front) looks little out of center, hope this is just the pic.

Nice body wood.

I would not do what you did with the neck pkp in fear that you will weaken the neck joint by routing all the way thru the body near directly in front of the neck heel.

You're not giving the neck a whole lot of stability doing that I think.

Scares me actually.

Nice enough job tho, and a good idea on the face of it.

You can take any pkp router template and modify/downsize it to the point where it will barely be any bigger than the pkp itself. :D

that is nothing. Have a look at this http://www.danamusic.com/modules.php?name=...article&sid=777

If its neck is stable enough then I doubt his rout will pose much of a problem.

It's not so much stability....it's more taking wood (or material for that matter) out that has vital part in transporting vibrations from neck to body. (Altough vibrations are really transported, but haven't got better term for it)

That scooped Fender thing can't sound right. Or as my marketing team would decribe it;

"It has it's own very unique & distinct sound characteristics."

It's not so much stability....it's more taking wood (or material for that matter) out that has vital part in transporting vibrations from neck to body. (Altough vibrations are really transported, but haven't got better term for it)

That scooped Fender thing can't sound right. Or as my marketing team would decribe it;

"It has it's own very unique & distinct sound characteristics."

There is actually an entire line. They are manufactured by alvarez.

Ech guitar design has a different scoop. Each scoop is design to work specifically with the fuitar shape, density, mass, etc.

It supposedly cancels out redundancies in the vibrations between body and neck and causes sustain to skyrocket.

Yeah, right.

And I've seen exactly -zero- players using those things.

Just because you see it and someone makes up some cool sounding press does not a great guitar make.

I'm not saying it sucks, but I look at the general consensus, all the forums I hang out on, magazines, etc. etc., and whatever those things are, I don't see them -anywhere-.

That says something.

Point Drak. :DB):D

Yeah, right.

And I've seen exactly -zero- players using those things.

Just because you see it and someone makes up some cool sounding press does not a great guitar make.

I'm not saying it sucks, but I look at the general consensus, all the forums I hang out on, magazines, etc. etc., and whatever those things are, I don't see them -anywhere-.

That says something.

Point Drak. :DB):D

I'm not saying it does. I don't know a whole lot about them.

However the few people I have found that have played them have said that they are incredible.

Thanks for the responses. I have removed the picture (initial post) and inserted a hyperlink to the same picture-it was too big and I got sick of scrolling over when I opened the post.

Regarding the center line, I will go back and doublee check. I see what you are saying in the pictures. Lex, which direction does it look to you? If it is off, hopefully it can be recovered. If not-s___, and I will try again.

You guys have taught me a ton!

Thanks,

Bill