Routing A Semi-hollow?

My high school woodshop has a CNC router. Is it reasonable (even if not traditional) to use it to possibly route the 'middle' of a semi-hollow, assuming that I'm going to be gluing on the back on front pieces? Will it cause strength problems? What about the front and top? Anyone know anything else about this?

Thanks for your help.

That is a valid approach to a semihollow guitar. There are a few people doing that already. My approach is to route out all but 1/4-3/8" for the back. If you just routed the material all the way and then added the back pieces you are acheiving the same thing but you have the advantage of putting a different piece of wood on the guitar to affect the tone a bit.

Use at least 1/4" material for the top and back and you should be fine. Will you be leaving some wood for a bridge block? If so then strength is not an issue. You will be fine. Keep enough wood for a good neck joint too.

It's a great idea, go for it.

~David

That is a valid approach to a semihollow guitar. There are a few people doing that already. My approach is to route out all but 1/4-3/8" for the back. If you just routed the material all the way and then added the back pieces you are acheiving the same thing but you have the advantage of putting a different piece of wood on the guitar to affect the tone a bit.

Use at least 1/4" material for the top and back and you should be fine. Will you be leaving some wood for a bridge block? If so then strength is not an issue. You will be fine. Keep enough wood for a good neck joint too.

It's a great idea, go for it.

~David

Actually, I want to make an (almost) replica of my current guitar, with some key differences. It is a Les Paul clone, but semi-hollow. The sides are hollow, and it has a solid block from the very bottom to the neck joint. I suppose that is the bridge block, which I should probably verify before I start to build a guitar. Hmm, I need to brush up on my terminology.

I think the problem now is finding a router bit long enough to cut it...

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

That is essentially the technique I use to make my chambered body guitars except that I do not have the luxury of CNC gear. I had to hollow out my mid-section of 2" thick Cuban Mahogany with a jigsaw and drum sanders! Can you say "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?" I knew that you could... Boggs

• 2 weeks later...