Dual Truss Rod Questions

ok.. this is my first try at luthierism. im making a neck through 7 string bass in my shop class. ive done a lot of research but i cant find much on dual truss rods. my questions so far are as follows:

-should dual truss rods be parallel to the center or to the edges of the neck?

-is it necessary to have a longer truss rod for a longer scale (35.5") or will a rod for a 34" work?

-would it be ok to have headstock access? i plan on having 29 frets which would kind of limit the option of body access.

-my neck is huge - about 2.5" wide at the nut and 4" at the 24th fret (my exact measurements are at school). is there a rule of thumb for how far the truss rods should be from each other and/or the sides of the neck in proportion to the width of the neck?

-what about adding plain metal rods for structure? ive heard of a few ppl doing that but i know nothing about it. is it recommended?

thats pretty much all ive run into so far but it is likely i will be returning for more. thank you!

I can answer one for you....

-would it be ok to have headstock access? i plan on having 29 frets which would kind of limit the option of body access.

Rickenbacker has been doing double rods with HS access for years and years with no problems.

I found a tutorial on the web a while back from a guy that did a dual rod replacement. That should give you a lot of the details you need for a build with duals. I'm not going to re-research it for you but I found it rather quickly using google and the keywords "dual truss rod". Give it a shot and see if you can find it.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you!!

Try a single rod and then use carbon rods to stiffen the neck. You can get them from Into The Wind Kite Supplies. Just look them up on google. They have a .24" rod that you can rout a 1/4" groove for. Should cut down on the weight.