Have No Idea!

Hey guys I'm new to the site as of 15 mins ago, and I know absolutley nothing about building guitars, dont know what style is best for learning, but I want to build something like my Schector Omen 6, so if you guys could give me tips on an easy guitar design, cheap wood, pick-ups, etc..thats be great I'm looking to start soon and maybe make a career out of it (if the rock star dream fails of coarse!)

hey man welcome to the PG, since your a noob to guitar building first things first, start reading up! theres a lot to be learned from all the guys here and as you can see by browsing some of there works, they definatly know there stuff.

as i was asking you on guitar.com though, what specs do you want? so far all i know is that you want to build an omen like guitar, but what pickups, scale (do you like fender/gibson/prs scales-there all deferent) how many frets, etc like I asked before DETAILS! :D

as for woods, you can pickup body blanks from several people here very reasonably, i think the average i have seen is anywhere from 35-80 depending on woods.

well I'd like some seymore duncan pickups possibly the metal(rock n rock) humbuckers, and id prolly want a 24 1/2 fret board prs is a very nice style but id like diamond tuners and if youve ever seen an omen i want my guitar to feed the strings like that ....ive been reading and there is a lot of technical jargin im not sure of but im sure ill pick up on it, im not sure what u mean by scale tho

alright, so if im gathering you right you want a stop tail bridge with strings thru the body with a 24 fret neck right?

also scale=the distance from the nut to the bridge, its calculated by measuring from your nut to 12th fret then doubling that number, generally it is on electric guitars 25 1/2"(fender scale) 25"(prs scale) or 24 3/4"(gibson scale) there are exceptions, but thats whats the most widely used.

as for cost thats entirely up to you, if you have no tools right now, your going to spend A LOT on just them (your going to at the very least need a jigsaw, tons of sandpaper, rasps, and a router and those are just rudimentary) also since this is your first guitar, i definalty suggest buying a pre-slotted fretboard or maybe even an entire neck, but my first guitar cost me a total of about 700 and thats with about 275 worth of tools, my body blank cost me about 40 (and its made from alder)

Edited by goth_fiend

well its your guitar so anything you want you can to do it! as for inlays they can be tricky, just take your time on everything and remember to measure twice and cut once, it save you massive headaches in the end! also i will give you a rundown of the guitars i am building right now just to give you an idea of what you might want to do.

im building 3 randy rhoads V's right now and they all have the same specs,

25 1/2" 24 fret maple neck thru body (self explanitory the body is glued on the neck forming the guitar)

ebony fret board (sharkfin inlays on 1, scythes on 1 and reverse sharkfins on the other)

body woods (or wings as there sometimes called) alder on two of them and mohagany on the other

1 5/8" nut

floyd rose trems (1 black, 1 chrome, 1 gold)

all of them will have dimarzio x2n's with neal moser 10x booster switches and a vol knob.

recessed straplocks and strat jack on the back of the guitars

im also building a neck thru jem, warlock, ironbird and drawing out the temps for my stealth too

thats another thing, making templates now for everything you need will save you a lot of time as well if you plan on making more guitars (like most of us) i have quite a few templates for bodies, pickups, cavities etc, making templates takes sometime because you have to be precise but it pays off BIG TIME after your done with your guitar.

Half of that I didnt understand...lol templates?....alder on two of them and mohagany on the other

1 5/8" nut

floyd rose trems (1 black, 1 chrome, 1 gold)

all of them will have dimarzio x2n's with neal moser 10x booster switches and a vol knob.

recessed straplocks and strat jack on the back of the guitars?

I dont mean to keep pestering u but if I dont ask 1 Million questions I'll never figure this out :D

its alright man, you definatly have a ways to go then :D but anyways a template is what you use to actually route out something on the guitar whether it be the actual body, the neck, the pickups, the bridge, etc.

also alder and mohagany are woods, if you didnt know that...eep....

a 1 5/8" nut is how wide the neck will be at the begining of the neck so where the end of your nut/begining of your fretboard is thats how wide it will be

floyd rose's are just double locking trems (a type of bridge where there are locks on the bridge its self and the nut, allows for extreamly stable tuning and of coarse its a trem so you can do all that fancy stuff with it) there available in different finishes

dimarzio x2n's are just pickups no need to get into that, and a booster just gives you a higher output signal

a straplock actully ataches to you strap and guitar and allows you to attach or detach them with a ball bearing lock, very useful and a must on any high end guitar in my mind i recess them into the guitar body so that if you looked at the backof the body it would look as though my strap is on the guitar body itself an not have normal eyelets for mounting your strap.

now im dieing to ask though man, how long have you been playing because most of this is very elementary stuff? not meant as an insult or anything but just out of curiousity

I've been playing for about 6 years...lol but thats what ive been doing is just playing, ive heard of some of the stuff but ive just been concentrating on the playing and not knowing my instrument so thats y it seems as if I know little but Ive never actually tryed to learn what it takes to build one....basically I am not even sure what a bridge is!...kinda embarassing but i think i do but i want to make sure, the nut thing I still dont understand is it where when the strings come out and go up the fretboard...is it the part b4 the pickups? this is so embarassing lol :D

thats what i actually thought it was so sweet i also thought it was somethiung else but oh well and i know i need to learn thats why im here :D and also one of the reasons I want to build my own. is there anyone on this site thats has full plans to a cheap guitar that i can just buy supplys for and follow their plans and get one built so i have an idea of what im doind?

well saga makes guitar kits, they have everything you need, but really all your doing with that is putting a neck on a body, wiring it up and finishing the guitar, i dont call that building one, i would check out www.guitarbuilingtemplates.com for your temps. and either go with www.stewmac or www.lmii.com for a pre slotted fretboard, your going to need to get a truss rod from one of these places as well, i also HIGHLY suggest reading melvyn hiscocks book, make your own electric guitar, stew mac has it and its worth every penny.

whooopss!!! the link should read www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com and a truss rod is the rod that is installed inside your neck to control the movement of the wood (upbow or backbow- so you dont snap a neck under your string tension...thats very bad, i #@&^ed up and didnt install one on my first neck, guess what it did! :D ) anyways get that book and things will definatly be more understandable to you

First off I want to say THANK YOU! just that site stewmac.com is going to help me more than you'll know! I really appreciate it man really, with the pictures next to the equipment ie;brides, n such I do know more thatn I thought just needed a visual, ill get the book this week and figure out what im doin and when i complete my first ax you'll be the first to see it im all excited now lol thnx again keep me posted with anything new youve done or figured out otr just something you think i should know!