Diy Ibanez Tubescreamer

benno

Well my stuff should be here any day now and i cant wait. Meanwhile I am kinda bored and have been looking into what i will make next.

I was considering making the enclosure for this Tubescreamer but dont know any dimensions yet and would want to worry about it all fitting in (--a thought i had while typing ill just go look up the dimensions for the enclosure in the small bear tubescreamer kit?? and make it that size... gee im smart)

Anyhow what i was thinking of doing next which doesnt seem to be as popular as other effects on the DIY scene is accoustic similator. What i am after are any ideas about making one of these. I play at church and stuff quite regulary and would like the convienience of only one guitar for some of those more 'softer' songs.

I came accross the 'Woody' on... well actually i cant remember but it came in a zip file with schematic, pics and sound file. It sounds OK but I have heard much better -- thinking John Petrucci. As it says in the "woody" doc that accoustic silulators are quite complex devices.

SO what i am after are any comments on the "Woody" or any other accoustic simulators or similar. I posted the doc that came with it. (or will once i find somewhere to upload it)

Thanks guys and gals,

Benno :D

Oh yeah, Mark Hammer's "Woody" has gotten mostly good reviews over at Aron's stompbox forum. I thought about building it at one time, but never did.

When I built my TS808 clone, I put it into a Hammond 1590BB enclosure. Here's a picture of it: http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/TS808.jpg

You could also rotate the enclosure to do something similar to this: http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/ST1590BB-Exterior.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Well my parts arrived (well most of them) and ive spent most the arvo putting my tubescreamer together. Ive done as much as i can but now I am a little comfused. Ive spent about an hour trying to work it out reading the 'data' page in the back of all my electronics catalogues and have learnt alot. Like how to read EIA coding on capacitors.

But its come to asking for help. I am assuming that when i asked for a package from Small Bear for the GGG tubescreamer he would have sent me all the right parts (though I already know he got a resister wrong - no biggy). But when it comes the allll the different types of capacitors Im abit stuck.

- I received at 0.022 instead of a 0.02 - i worked that out and put it in.

- I have 2 ceramic brown capacitors marked 47 +/- 5% 500V SM and have no idea what they are for, any ideas??

- I only got one capacitor marked 2F9224 - which im pretty sure is a 0.22uF and i needed 2.

- I have 2 blue rectangular prisms things marked 1uO JR 63V BC 0403370 and dont know wat they are for.

- i have the 2 1uF capacitors except they are 25volt instead of 50volt and the diagram at GGG doesnt show which way to put them round - so could someone have a look and let me know and will the 25V ones work?!

I guess problems just find me.. so any help would be appreciated..

Paul, I know you made this pedal. If you stuck to the schematic, it would be really helpful if yu had time if you could please take a photo of the top of the circuit board, so i can check mine against it.

The GGG links for this are:

http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ts_lo_808.gif

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/instru.../tscmr_inst.htm <-- has all the capacitor values and types.

Thanks alot for any help - i wanna get this thing working.

Ben

EDIT: I looked at the excel file Steve (from Small Bear) sent me and some things dont match up exactly with GGG, so i know to check for next time and also realise that yes everyone seems to have their own variation of the Tubescreamer.

Edited by benno

- I received at 0.022 instead of a 0.02 - i worked that out and put it in.

- I have 2 ceramic brown capacitors marked 47 +/- 5% 500V SM and have no idea what they are for, any ideas??

- I only got one capacitor marked 2F9224 - which im pretty sure is a 0.22uF and i needed 2.

- I have 2 blue rectangular prisms things marked 1uO JR 63V BC 0403370 and dont know wat they are for.

- i have the 2 1uF capacitors except they are 25volt instead of 50volt and the diagram at GGG doesnt show which way to put them round - so could someone have a look and let me know and will the 25V ones work?!

The ceramic caps are 47pF and sound like a substitute for the 51pF cap on the PCB layout. This is so close to the original value that it doesn't make any difference.

The 0.022uF cap is fine. No one really makes a 0.02 cap these days.

The 2F9224 sounds like a 0.22uF cap to me.

Not sure what the blue thingies are. They sound like 63V caps, though.

The 1uF caps are fine. They are still rated for nearly three times the operating voltage of the circuit. They are bipolar, so it doesn't matter which way you put them on the PCB.

Hope that helps. :D

javacody.. its not alive yet :D

I had to order another cap and another resitistor, i dont have a huge box of misc parts unfortunately.

But It WILL work.. well i hope so.

I do care what it looks like becasue half the time ive spent making it has been manufacturing the case, and damn is it solid. lol

And YES i did socket the OP amp B)

OK its alive and working 1st go!!

I dont have a real TS to compare it with but seems OK, all pots work etc. Might look at the mods i have seen on the net to improve the amount of bass. But before i fiddle around i think ill just enjoy somehting I made.

Thanks for help and stuff.

Ben

Cool, glad to hear that it works. The Tube Screamer rolls off of the bass at a certain frequency so that it stays articulate sounding. Read the "Technology of the Tube Screamer" at geofex.com if you want to know more about how the circuit works and how possibly tweak it.

Another build that a lot of people like the the "Tube Reamer" at runoffgroove.com, IIRC (about the site).