Ideas On Building A Drill Press Stand

Cyclone

It all depends on your needs and what your skills are.....Also the amount of space available.....One option would be building a workbench out of 2x4 stock with a 3/4in plywood top and bolt your drillpress press down to it. If you can weld, you should easily be able to fabricate a stand out of some mild steel dedicated soley to your drill press.

tdog, thanks for the reply.

I cant weld that good, and my space is limited to my garage. I am in the process of desigining and building a fold down work bench to install in my garage and mounting the drill press to it would be an option, however I would have to remove it every time I wanted to store the work bench. I had considered building a platform out of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood and and solid pine and enclosing it so that I would have some extra storage. If anyone has done anything like this please let me know.

It sounds like you've got a good idea about what you need to do....Space is always a concern.....I had to move out of my garage 10 years ago.....Luckily, I own enough land to build what I needed....I've added 1200 sq ft onto my original 1700 sq ft shop once and I'm getting ready to add on another 1400 sq ft. .....Give us an update when you get it built.

Cheers,

Greg

I work out of my garage too. What I did was to build a 2.5 X 9 foot bench with 4 X 4 legs. I put it on casters, but hardly ever move it out. My thought was to move it out to do heavy sawdust creating work as my office is also in the garage. It is a separate room, but dust gets everywhere. My drill press is mounted on that, alonq with a chop saw and a belt / disk sander.

tdog, thanks for the reply.

I cant weld that good, and my space is limited to my garage. I am in the process of desigining and building a fold down work bench to install in my garage and mounting the drill press to it would be an option, however I would have to remove it every time I wanted to store the work bench. I had considered building a platform out of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood and and solid pine and enclosing it so that I would have some extra storage. If anyone has done anything like this please let me know.

Will it fit sideways between the studs? Maybe you could build your folding bench with a split top. The half of the top closest to the wall would be solid and just wide enough to slide your drill press onto (hopefully sideways). The rest of the top would hinge off of that. Slide the drill press out to use.

A table top drill press isn't huge or heavy.....What about the possibility of a small section of the workbench being made to rotate(pivot on an axis,) with the DP being securely bolted down, allowing it to be stored in its inverted position underneath the workbench,while providing a usable work surface on top.......It might take some engineering but it could work.......Sounds like something out of a 1959 Popular Mechanics doesn't it! Can't you just see the cheezy photos of some guy with a pipe hanging from his mouth with his "Opie lookin'" son, gazing on in amazement?......I can't believe that I am even offering up this idea.......it almost sounds too wacky!

ddg,

I had thought about making the table in split sections and this is something that I will do regardles of weather or not I mount the DP to it. Thanks for the input and I hope to have pictures to post of everything when I am done.

tdog,

Its funny that you should mention PM as I am currently looking at an issue that has plans on how to make hand planes. In the time machine section there are always pictures like you mentioned. It kills me to think that people actually thought that those were actual pictures of normal america. Thanks for the input and I will see what I can do with the ideas.