Black Ice Overdrive

mattdowney

i am going add a black ice overdrive into my guitar. i was thinking of doing the one with the mini switch but i decided to just mod my tone control. i am not going to buy the black ice overdrive form stewmac i am going to do it like in Ansils mod in the tutorial section. i am looking at the diagram now, and i dont realy understand what i have to do. can someone direct me to a diferent diagram? or explain it to me?

i have wired guitars and it went fine. so if i have good instructions i will be fine. ohh also, what are the exact diodes i will need?

i posted a simalar topic awhile ago but dident get any usefull responses, sorry if this seems like double posting :D

any help will greatly apriciated,

matt

Edited by mattdowney

...i posted a simalar topic awhile ago but dident get any usefull responses...

Did you go to the page I linked you to in the last thread? It shows you how to wire the switch, and includes a photograph. He also recommends the BAT41 schottky, but any generic schottky diode should work fairly well. You simply wire the two diodes front to back, and wire the result just exactly like a tone cap. Switching is optional, but I'd at least use a switch to disconnect them from the pot completely. HTH

how would i incorperate a switch into this?

Just take the wiper of the pot and insert a switch between the tone cap and the black ice circuit. All that is needed is a on/on SPST switch, one side will have the cap to ground and the other side would have the diodes to ground. Middle lug goes to the wiper of the pot.

Edited by Paul Marossy

• 4 months later...

i actually had better luck with the bat 46's. you don't get much of an effect on guitars with single coils but i found that even with single coils i got a little better results with the 46's. and just my two cents worth but if you're going to use a switch it's easier to attach the diodes to the output jack and then you really do just need a spst switch to turn it on and off and if you end up not liking it it's easier to remove..