Picking Up A New Tool Today :)

LGM Guitars

Well, shortly I'll be on my way to pick up my new General 25" thickness sander.

It's a dual drum unit so I can do roughing and finishing all in one pass without changing belts.

I was getting tired of having to borrow my friends and drive over to his house all the time (little Delta 16") so it's time to bite the bullet and get my own :D YAY, happy days!!! LOL

Jeremy

wow. Nice work area. Mine is Granada Hills Charter High School. lol. well hope you have fun with the new sander. To give you more space, why dont you move that stacking cabinate thing next to the green machine against the wall in the corner. Well it looks like its out a few feet from each wall. Hope that helps with the space issue, unless you need the thing there then this post is useless.

Thanks

Hey LGM, i would LOVE a shop tour...I would love to see where 85k went to good use :D. THanks

Well, a lot of the 85K is in the tools I purchased. About 10K of that is in spray guns alone. There is another 15K in laser cut templates and jigs that I did for the Leviathans. The spray booth itself was a huge drop in one shot. All the power tools combined end up less than you might think, Hand tools don't look all that impressive, but they add up very fast. My paint inventory is probably somewhere around 10K right now. I keep about 2K worth of shell on hand. It's not just the shop, as I said, I dropped the money on the shop, in tools, materials etc. Just having a shop does you no good, having a shop with resources in it to build the guitars is another. B)

haha yeah i totally agree with that.

having a shop with resources in it to build the guitars is another.

yeah...stew mac can drain money like no other. I agree with power tools not costing as much as other stuff because when my spending budget of 2k went down the drain with the guitar tools. I would probably think you've used tesla paint. I always wanted to try their stuff but i dont have the money to. What do you think of it? Thanks :D

Here's a few pics of the power tool section of the shop, I need a bigger shop already, I figured 900 sq ft would be lots, how wrong I was!

LGM, very nice, I've been thinking about one, but not until we move. We're moving to Oregon and I've seen houses with 1200 - 1500 SF shops. Unfortunately, my wife is more interested in the house.

Hey LGM what made you decide to go with the general vs. something else?

which model is that one?

Since I am in the market...

General machines are very well built, heavy (rigid) easy to get parts for if you need one, and very accurate. They are also locally available and compared to the "big names" like Delta, Rigid, Porter Cable etc, the pricing is very good. They aren't cheap, but they're not cheaply made either. Next week I'm picking up a new bandsaw, time to upgrade :D

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I had a couple questions regarding thickness sanders.

LGM: Do you know if it's possible to get a decent one for under $1000? If so, are there any brands you can reccommend?

Also, short of buying a thickness sander (or finding someone who has one) is there any way to plane/join curly maple and still avoid tearout?

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but I had a couple questions regarding thickness sanders.

LGM: Do you know if it's possible to get a decent one for under $1000? If so, are there any brands you can reccommend?

Also, short of buying a thickness sander (or finding someone who has one) is there any way to plane/join curly maple and still avoid tearout?

I haven't seen one I would buy for under $1000 (not sure if I've seen any for under $1000 to be honest)

You want something that will take your body blank after joining, so 16" is minimum width IMO. Delta makes a 16/32 model, it's open on one end so that you can theoretically turn your piece around after doing the first side and run it through to get 32" of width, i've used these and wasn't happy, they do flex, (despite what my friend Rob who owned it says) and it will leave a line in the middle. I would only consider getting one that is 16" wide or better and is closed at both ends. The dual drum like I got is nice but not necessary, a single drum will work fine.

As far as joining figured maple without tearout, a good block plane used in a circular cutting motion (old school trick where you don't just plane in one direction, you sort of move the plane in an arc as you push forward) works great and is how I did my first guitars, for body joins I use an edge sander and I get perfect fits every time. Some old school wood workers say if you dampen the wood you can thickness plane it without tearout but I've never tried that and am skeptical since dampening the wood raises the grain anyway.

those machines are ok.

go online to grizzly tools they make a 16inch dual drum sander for 850. Much better than that performax machine.

If you are going to spend the cash for an open ended machine go with the delta x5 much better machine.

I am in the market and have been looking for close to 6 months now. want one on ebay but they are hard to come by

I disagree LGM, check this out:

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Guitar_Buil...p?showtopic=155

even though it was on sale, its still under 1,000 :D

Chris

so what are you disagreeing with? I never said you COULDN'T find one, just said I've never seen one. I also stated that the open end ones aren't really something I would recommend. They flex, maybe only a couple of thousanths of an inch (the one I used was about .005") but it's still there, not a huge issue on a guitar body, but the other thing to consider is the amount of material you can remove. The open end ones aren't that rigid or powerful, for hobby stuff they are more than fine, honest, they are great, for my purposes time is more expensive than tools, 20 passes through vs 50 passes through is a HUGE time difference.

I'm not saying you can't find them, sure you can, I just REALLY believe in the "you get what you pay for" adage, for me, the general was the ticket due to it's power, and ease of getting parts. Delta is good but you pay for the name, I've never heard of performax and my concern would be parts, I use the machine almost every day, I need reliability and availability.

My thicknesser is a 10" jobbie. So I'm going to be 2 piece bodying (I was intending on neck throughs anyway B) )

At this size you get "portable" ones(they weigh a tonne). Once you start to get bigger than this then you're into the realm of floor standing units. This is way out of my league due to budget and most importantly my workshop being on the 3rd floor of my house.

Hold on, I'll find a link to the little beauty.

EDIT: Here you go...

http://www.nutool.co.uk/ProductCatalogue.a...ing%2FMachinery

I also got the bench jointer :D

Edited by Hotrock