Scroll Saw?

foreigner

that just doesn't happen

...I beg your pardon, but it surely does......And after this post I'm no longer commenting on any safety concerns.

I'm sure that will be just fine with some people.

i don't mean it like that at all.just saying that in the 2 years or so that i had my bandsaw,nothing like that ever even came close to happening.you just have to know how to properly use the machine.

look,obviously you are prejudiced against using these smaller machines.i just don't think it is fair to come up with these "safety concerns" that none of the guys who use these things constantly for just this purpose have ever had a problem with.

it is not a high speed or high power machine...it doesn't have the speed or power to rip this 10 pound blank anywhere violently enough to pull your fingers into the blade.

in all the times the blade hung up on mine,all that happened is that it stopped spinning...it didn't throw anything anywhere

like you have said all along,it is underpowered for that...and you know i am right

if all you are concerned about is leverage,then recessing it like i suggested will take care of that very small problem,and really that same thing is still an issue with the 14" model

really all bandsaws tend to come with an undersized table,as far as i can tell.i think they should all be incorporated into a bench,don't you?

edit

by the way..if the height adjustment piece is adjusted correctly for the piece you are cutting,the wood in the worst case scenario could only come up to it and stop...i adjust mine to about 1/4" taller than the piece i am cutting...hardly enough to pull fingers into the blade,and the blade is also protected by that same height adjustment piece to keep your fingers from hitting an exposed blade

I called Delta about this and they imediately sent me a new blade, free of charge.

More than likely the one that was sent by Delta was also a cheap Taiwanese blade.....The blade that came with it probably had problems with its kerf to begin with.... Delta manufactures very little product in the US any more.

Actually, the blade they sent me clearly states "Made in U.S.A" on the package.. It was night and day compared to the original one.

The stability concerns I have raise a safety issue. When you are cutting a body, you are dealing with a 20in x 14in block of wood weighing @10lbs. With a small table, and the laws of physics, this could allow the block to become unbalanced and possibly lift off the table placing your digits in harm's way.

I have my drill press right next to it. I then lift its table to be at the same height as the band saw table. On the other side, the Ryobi belt sander has a platform that is at the same height also. It would also be very easy to build a little extension all around the band saw table.

Edited by Bmachine

it is not a high speed or high power machine...it doesn't have the speed or power to rip this 10 pound blank anywhere violently enough to pull your fingers into the blade.

in all the times the blade hung up on mine,all that happened is that it stopped spinning...it didn't throw anything anywhere

This will never happen!

A band saw, no matter the size will never throw a piece of wood anywere, nut even the huge industrial one, the reason being is that the saw runs down and if ot grabs on to the wood it will push it down! The reason why table saws kickback is because the direction of the cut is going thoward you.

I agree with tdog, and most wood workers would too... Drak knows what he is doing and to be honest I am surprised that he has not burned the motor out. Drak probably goes slow and knows the tool. Most newbs want it done quick. A sroll saw is not engineered for cutting a 2 inch piece unless its balsa wood.

I have not seen a band saw toss wood yet, if the piece is not level and you push it into the blade it will snap it down voilently... Also I have stalled my machine when I have resawn wood.

I used a scroll saw to cut my first couple guitar bodies and it works but just takes a while.... The scroll saw it made to cut small pieces and thats about it...

Most poeple who post are asking because they have no wood working experience...

A 9 inch band saw is good tool to learn how a band saw works... I would avoid getting a larger tool if you are a first timer.

the reason being is that the saw runs down

yeah i was pretty sure of this...but as i said mine has been stolen so i could not be sure enough to post about it.

but after rereading tdog's post it is obvious he is talking about leverage caused by overbalancing on the small table the saw is provided with.and i have supported the heavy end of my wood many times to keep that from happening,but as i said,if the height adjustment is proper it won't come down far enough to do any damage,and making a larger table surface would take that problem away completely.

but i never even had THAT problem with body blanks,the table is large enough for that...cutting necks is when i had to support the overhang

one thing that does suck about that small saw is that it doesn't have enough cutting height to cut a headstock profile....you have to cut the neck taper straight through the headstock,then cut the profile,then glue ears on to make up the width needed

"Drak knows what he is doing and to be honest I am surprised that he has not burned the motor out. Drak probably goes slow and knows the tool. Most newbs want it done quick. A sroll saw is not engineered for cutting a 2 inch piece unless its balsa wood."

That is a fair enough statement, right on most marks. I DO go slow (you have to), I DO completely understand what it will do and what it won't, and I don't see the need to whip out a body blank in under one minute flat.

But it DOES cut 2" stock with no problems at all all the time, and the motor shows no signs of letting up anytime soon, and I can ALSO do scroll saw activities with it, which is a BIG plus if you're into that. I couldn't live without the scrollsaw function, I use it for that a lot.

But Wes is right, I don't make necks, so I might be screwed when it comes to that, but since I don't, I'm fine and it works great and takes up VERY little space, which is a paramount concern to me, I keep my operation with a VERY small 'footprint', and it fits that perfectly.

Actually, the blade they sent me clearly states "Made in U.S.A" on the package.. It was night and day compared to the original one.

The package was for sure made in the USA B) I bought some boots for work one time and the box said made in the USA. But when I got home and looked at the bottom of the boot , it said Made In China. So unless it was stamped into the blade, I wouldn't be so sure. :D

OK, I get it now, like having a small table top band saw and have it tip ove! But itf you install the band saw the right way, you will see that on the instructions "should" (I say this becuse of all the tools I gotten that are table top mounted have it) say that you must bolt it or attach it in some fashion to the table. Even the small portable table router convertion kit have the holes to bolt it down. I do understand that Tdog is concerned with safety, but everybody in this hobby (or bussiness for others) should be VERY concerned with safety... unless you don't mind loosind a few fingers, and eye, hearing or even die.

Drak,

Out of curiosity what else so you use the scroll saw for as far as solid bodies are concerned? I have a possibility of getting the "Delta SS250 Shopmaster 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw" for very cheap and I wonder if I should take advantage of it. But, besides cutting inlays, I'm not too sure what I would use it for...

Thanks.

Edited by Bmachine

I realize this isn't for everyone, but I sometimes laugh at the notion that you have to have huge machines to get the job done. I think creativity and thoroughly understanding the machines you DO have and their limits goes farther sometimes than a big machine.

Nuff said.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

man And I thought that I had some crappy equipment. I have a 14" band saw 2 routers, a table saw, a drill press, a scroll saw, jointer, planer, lathe, just about every power hand tool you can imagine, and a whole building full of small tools.

It was all inherated after my grandfather died.