Hanging A Guitar By The Headstock

erikbojerik

Is it a good thing to hand a guitar by the headstock?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I need to make some space in my "studio" for the growing herd, and all I have left is some wall space. Do you think it is OK to hang guitars from the wall suspended by the headstock on those hook-type wall hangers? I know they do it in music stores all the time, and I've heard varying opinions on whether or not this is a good thing.

What do you say? Vote and have a take.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my opinion, it can go both ways. I dont think it would harm it, if you dont keep them hooked over an extended period of time. I hung my strat by the tuner hole for about 3 days and everything was fine, but i wouldnt leave it more then a week and a half. It could start to leave an indent in the tuner hole. Possibly...

Just my.02 cents...

I need to make some space in my "studio" for the growing herd, and all I have left is some wall space. Do you think it is OK to hang guitars from the wall suspended by the headstock on those hook-type wall hangers? I know they do it in music stores all the time, and I've heard varying opinions on whether or not this is a good thing.

What do you say? Vote and have a take.

It's fine. What's going to happen - the neck's going to grow!? I'd prioritise any accoustic instruments for case storage, but solid bodies should be perfectly fine on hooks.

I have 8 of mine hanging on "String Swing" hooks. Most are guitars that are collectible and rarely get played....they just hang and look pretty :D

I have a couple of basses that hang also and I play them on rotation with each one getting some playing time every week or two. I haven't had any problems at all.

I prefer to hang them for a couple of reasons. First, they are up and out of the way of the kids, ... Second, I think they look more "showcased" when hanging from a wall than sitting on a stand (that's certainly subjective). I wouldn't even worry about it harming the guitar though. People have been hanging their guitars for a long time without damage being done.

I can't say for sure if those exact ones cause any problems, but I wouldn't take any chances with it, on my own guitars.

I *do* know that I work on guitars all the time, that have too much forward bow in the neck, or too much backbow, that is *set* in the neck (can't get the neck straight again by ajusting the t-rod).

I think a contributing factor could be the way the guitar has been stored. In the case of a set excessive forward bow, I think the following could very well have caused, or helped to cause the problem :

Guitars kept in the case with a neck support point around the headstock area.

Guitars that are stored by leaning them against the wall with the headstock touching the wall all the time.

Guitars stored against the amp, with the area of the neck, from the middle to the headstock resting against the amp.

Guitar stands where the neck rest is adjusted so it touches the neck in the middle , or up to near the headstock.

I have one stand that holds 5 guitars and only touches the body. It doesn't touch the neck at all.

I have a few of the more common single stands, and I adjust them so the neck rest is close to the body. If the stand won't allow it to be adjusted that low, I will modify the stand so that it will adjust that low. This has always meant that I'd hack-saw off a portion of the neck support post.

So they end up like this one :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...trat/stand1.jpg

Actually, I'd even like the neck support on this one a little closer to the body than how I have it here. By the way, this stand came with that "surgical' yellow rubber tubing, which dried up and had to be taken off. So I went out in the garage and looked in my auto parts bin, and found some old black hose that had been taken out of a car. I cleaned the hell out of the hose, then put it on the stand.

With the 'Hang your head' ones, like this poll is about, maybe you should tune the guitar, then hang it, then see how well it's still in tune. If it's out of tune by being hung, then that indicates that it's pushing/pulling the neck.

Edited by soapbarstrat

soapbarstrat Posted on Nov 30 2004, 01:31 PM

With the 'Hang your head' ones, like this poll is about, maybe you should tune the guitar, then hang it, then see how well it's still in tune. If it's out of tune by being hung, then that indicates that it's pushing/pulling the neck.

That's a great point and I can say that my basses are hung in tune and do come down in tune, even after a couple of weeks on the "hook". My guitars are detuned since I am a bass player by nature and rarely play the guitars. There are a couple that never get play time simply because of what they are and I don't want any fret wear or any wear on them. I do pull them down about once a month or so to dust them and check them over.

all of my instruments are hung except for my upright, 'cause it doesn't need to be, and can't be in all reality...

i have 7 string swings, 3 on one wall, 4 staggered on another, and each one is "assigned" to its own axe. for a while, i had nails in the wall right beside them for the straps i liked to use with each guitar, only the wall of 3 has those still, and i also decorate each of them depending on the axe's character. fuzzy dice behind my white strat, tribal patterns coming from the mount for my dragon strat, the wood mount for my quilted maple bass, nothing for the ugly-ass foundation, etc.

just makes it fun. also, only on one of my acoustics have i ever noticed anything weird about it and its tuning, but i attribute it to the fact that i tune it down a half step for some more bottom end.

i recentlly got some of the hercules guitar hangers and everything seems to befine with mine. i have my kramer, my project strat and my tatra acoustic up there. the project guitar is out of tune when i take it down but it has a tendancy to detune sporadically so im fairllysure its not the hanger.

StratDudeDan it sounds like you've got some quite cool stuff going on. im almost tempted to start a thread for people to put up pictures oftheir entire collection hung on thewalls (tho i think it might have already been done). atm mines hanging next to my collection of old skateboards

More importantly, if it REALLY was any risk at all, would Kevan hang the RG EGYPT? NOT A ******* CHANCE IN HELL!!!!!!

Good point. Of course a guy who piles all his guitars on each other, on the floor, for the sake of a silly photo would never do anything less than perfect when it comes to keeping his guitars in tip-top shape.

Another good point about places like Guitar Center liking the hangers for ease of display purposes.... oh wait, that's not what you meant.

More importantly, if it REALLY was any risk at all, would Kevan hang the RG EGYPT?  NOT A ******* CHANCE IN HELL!!!!!!

Good point. Of course a guy who piles all his guitars on each other, on the floor, for the sake of a silly photo would never do anything less than perfect when it comes to keeping his guitars in tip-top shape.

Another good point about places like Guitar Center liking the hangers for ease of display purposes.... oh wait, that's not what you meant.

simply playing a guitar is more damaging than hanging one,or placing a guitar on the carpet.

i am quite sure kevan placed them carefully.probably had someone else place them,maybe whoever took the picture?

i bet all your work comes from repairing guitars that were worn by being played.and i bet not one was brought in for "hangar damage"

You guys get way to hung up on nothing.

yup.silly ain't it?

i don't see how some of you ever play your guitars,with all this worry

we are talking about storing guitars,not plutonium

I wouldn't bet the trailer on that, if I were you

yes i get it..you are implying i am trailer trash because i think your hangar worries are foolish....i am glad i say what i mean outright without resorting to innuendo which demeans only the person putting it into play.seems fairly petty :D

Here's the kind of "hanger" I think is the safest :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...gtr-holder1.jpg

I'm too lazy to build more of them, plus I don't even have the wall space.

So, I like this one I bought around 10 years ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...at/5stand6a.jpg

I haven't even taken all the shipping thin foam they put on it at the factory. Sometimes, I just pick the whole thing up with the 5 guitars still on it, and move it, because I often have it on top of a "cabinet" that I hide my electronics parts surplus inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...rat/5stand4.jpg

Wes, Just because someone lives in a trailer, does not make them trash. I was in a band where the singer lived in a trailer. I did some of my best recording in that trailer.

Of course a guy who piles all his guitars on each other, on the floor, for the sake of a silly photo would never do anything less than perfect when it comes to keeping his guitars in tip-top shape.

Silly? Yeah, but then again there wasn't much else to do. The movers hadn't shown up with the furniture yet, so....there was all this empty space....camera batteries were charged....

For the record, it took Rachel more than an hour to place those guitars on me. She's more protective of them than I am. She giggles when she hears Rich Harris say "oh yeah, it's mint".

:D

And, ALL of my guitars get play time. Yes- even the EGYPT. Tonight, it's the RG-PAINT up here with me.

Soap- I picked up on your sarcasm there. If you have any questions about the care I take of my instruments, or the condition any of them are in, PLEASE ask anyone here that's seen them. I'm not overly-protective, but I do have one rule: "DON'T F-ING DROP IT!".

I put up a VERY NICE tutorial, with drawings, on 'that other site' a few years ago of some very nice wall hangars. Simple, cheap, effective, and they won't mark the neck joint over time like some hangars do.

If you folks would like it up here, just let me know and I'll dig up the pics and post it again. I'll also add my cool (and super-cheap) case storage setup. 2-for-1!