Best Shredders

ultraman

I tend to find "guitarist music" really boring - eg. Satch, Vai. I appreciate them as technical players, but I find their albums really dull, targeted at other guitarists. I much prefer players like EVH, Hendrix etc who work in a band setting, playing actual songs and showing how virtuoso guitar work can become part of a greater whole.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to find "guitarist music" really boring - eg. Satch, Vai. I appreciate them as technical players, but I find their albums really dull, targeted at other guitarists. I much prefer players like EVH, Hendrix etc who work in a band setting, playing actual songs and showing how virtuoso guitar work can become part of a greater whole.

Well yeah, but he did ask for shredders. Eddie and Hendrix don't really apply to that topic. :D

what bout eruption by Eddie??? if that aint shredding, then what exactly is??

I found this in the dictionary...

Shred - a style of guitar playing made popular by several players in the '80s, emphasizing a variety of techiques (tapping, fast scalar runs, tremolo picking, whammy bar tricks, sweep picking arpeggios, right hand above left, etc) played extremely fast and accurately. Waning popularity in recent years due to a growing resistence in technical competence in musical movements such as grunge (i.e. Kurt Cobain - look where it got him) and nu metal.

i think eruption is played fast and accuretly, with tapping, and trem use as well :D

sorry, maybe i am being a smart ass

Curtis

I have to second Ron Thal - easily the most competent electric guitar player alive today. The guy is soo good, it should be illegal although he is a bit out there and most people can't really appreciate what he's doing.

Mattias IA Eklundh is pretty much a step behind technique wise but he is an awesome composer and doesn't show off as much so he's more accessible to the casual listener.

Also check out Frederick Thorendal, Blues Saraceno, Chris Brooks, Alan Lennon and Francesco Fareri.

I realise the thread was about shredders, I was just shooting my mouth off as usual!!

Funny you should mention Eruption, I was listening the the live album (Right Here Right Now is it called?) and I actually got pretty bored about halfway through the version of Eruption he played on that... sacrilege eh :D

My preference isn't really lyrics vs. instrumental, it's songs versus just showing off, if that makes sense. Guitar playing for guitar playing's sake should be left on the free CD on the front of Guitar Player hahaa!

Does anyone here play eruption?

i tried a couple times, got a little bit of it, but failed miserably after 5 bars, lol

You should try it, i am going to start on it again after i finish up a few other odds and ends (family stuff mostly) after that, i get to really, just focuse on my playing, improve it and such

Curtis

Well, Al DiMeola is a must (full-time shred or not, spice up his licks even more and you win every time

...what about some more 80's glam guys?

Rob Beach of Winger,

C.C. DeVille (some songs more than others of course)

Adrian Smith, Dave Murray

and there's always a few of these new guys on the metal scene- they have skills... but it's more thrash metal then shred-

Jon Danais (Shadows Fall)

Doc Coyle, Dallas Coyle (God Forbid)

and Mark Morton, Willie Adler (Lamb Of God)

I don't know if all these guys would fit will with your repertoire... but I know they're all kikaz players and, you might just give them a chance eh?

~I smell... metal!! :D

It is tougher and when you play it...it ACTUALLY sounds like music...and you can play it for your mom  :D

yeah when I play some very fast solo with all kindsa cool stuff my parents would describe it as "noise" rather then music! B)

I started practising eruption a few months ago and now i can do about 3/5th of it correctly, it does help you learn tapping and alternate picking stuff...