Using Car Paint

Mr Doug

Mr. Doug

Yes it is possible to use the auto paint. The only problem that you may encounter is the paint reacting with anything that may be on the wood such as oils or solvents. Make sure that before you paint that you have preped the guitar to prevent this from happening. The link below will take you to on of the guitars that i painted using automotive paint. Additionaly their are tutorials in this section on how to prep for paint. I hope that this helps you.

david_scott_lrg.jpg

Cyclone... YOU made that one?! I went to the Warmoth site and thought yours was fricking sweet!

Sorry to barge in... I just loved that design.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys! watch out, i'm a newbie!

my uncle has been playing for well over 30 yrs and has made several axes from scratch, and finishing them himself with car paint and clear coat. they don't look dodgy at all, infact, they look damn cool. theres no bubbles or imperfections.

but yeah, like cyclone said. prep the body prior.

Edited by neocon58

• 3 weeks later...

ive had a couple of guitars finished by a panel beater/ auto spray paint dude, you have to put a heavy priming coat on and let it soak all the way in, then the colour coats, then because the paint is soft in comparison to nitro laquer, about 12 or 13 coats of clear,

:DB)

luke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...