Strat Pots

Ledzendrix1128

hey... this is my first post.. but i dont understand all this 500k 1,000 k and all this electronic jargon. I have a strat that is getting a complete restoration. I shaved the neck to my liking, burnt the finish off, and now its time to worry about rewiring the thing. i just got a set of 3 texas special single coil pickups. I was wonder which volume/tone pots are the best to use with this... and exactly... what all this 500k stuff means. The toggle switch also needs to be replaced or somethin... cuz everytime i tap the thing the sound cuts on and off... a loose connection somewhere most likely. Thanks in advance

-Led

Oh yeah, by the way this is a Squier.... yeah it sounds bad... but when im done the only thing that will still be squier is the body... hey... i got it for 20 bucks... cant pass that up

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

250K is right. If you had Humbuckers, then you would want 500K, anything lower then 500K for a humbucker would be to harsh.

However, strats have Single Coil pickups, so you want 250K pots.

See ya,

Chris

Also, i think if 500K pots in a single coil would make it muddy sounding, am i wrong?

Edited by AlGeeEater

250K is right. If you had Humbuckers, then you would want 500K, anything lower then 500K for a humbucker would be to harsh.

However, strats have Single Coil pickups, so you want 250K pots.

See ya,

Chris

Also, i think if 500K pots in a single coil would make it muddy sounding, am i wrong?

if 500K is brighter then 250K, wouldnt a 500K pot on a single coil be bright??

just, stating the obvious, but I am not a electronic wizard :D

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

the higher the imp on passive units ie pickups.. will raise the noise threshold 99 times out of 100.