using locking tuners instead of a lock nut

So I'm building a guitar for a friend and he "requires" a floyd rose in it... normally it wouldn't be a big deal but he says he doesn't want a locking nut on it. I've never used a floyd rose without one but I supposed the only other option is I use locking tuners. Would this work or do I need to explain to him the he needs a locking nut or he's asking for trouble???? Any input on this one would be very welcome so I can get him off my back about finishing this damn thing!

Actually, if you use a graphite nut, and locking tuners, it will stay in tune every bit as well as a lock nut. Parker does this. Graphite nut and sperzel locking tuners. I could do as much as the trem would allow me to do on my parker, and it would always stay in tune.

The main reason for non locking tuners going out of tune is the string wraps on the machine head move, they don't stay tight. In a locking tuner, the string should never wrap the machine head. it gets locked into place and just turned a little bit to tune it up.

The other place where a strat style trem will go out of tune, is in that the ball ends are just floating, nothing locks there. The loop around the ball can stretch, basically, as long as the string is locked at both ends, whether with locking tuners or a nut, it will stay in tune as well as any string can.

Guest AlexVDL

How come my Carvin with graphite nut, locking tuners and wilkinson trem always detuned?? Was it the wilkinson trem? Or was the nut not filed out correctly? Well anyways I sold the bugger because it detuned even when I looked at it :D

here's how speedy sees it:

locking tuners are good for anything, however... if you want a floyd to do as it is designed to, you will need a locking nut. i have had a set up similar to this and i would "dive bomb" utill the strings went limp. well i would sometimes run into a string that would pop off of the nut, or would unwind a little so the windings would not sit how they were before the abuse. in any case i would have to retune. i also tried a retaining bar to hold the strings down, but i stilll had the same problems. i finally ended up putting a locking clamp after the nut ala shaller. then it was great, but it's all how you play, or like it. :D

i prefer a locking nut because it doesn't wear out as fast as a regular nut.those roundwound strings are abrasive and when the floyd pulls them back and forth across the nut it cuts the groove deeper.i don't know about graphite nuts maybe they are tougher.i know they are slicker so the strings don't stick to them which is why they are recomended for that application.it seems to me that if you didn't have the wraps around the tuners that the string would be more likely to break at the edge of the eye.i don't know this for a fact it just seems this way.

or would unwind a little so the windings would not sit how they were before the abuse.

If you mean unwind from the tuner, then you weren't using your locking tuners correctly. On a locking tuner, the string should never wrap around the tuner, they lock in the hole. If you have them wrapped around the tuner, you have completely defeated the purpose of the locking tuner.

As for regular nuts not lasting as long as a lock nut, yes, I could see that, but in all honesty, they will last so long, I wouldn't mind if I had to change one now and then. I think the graphite ones last almost indefinitely, I hate cutting them, they take forever to put a nice seat in.

The one problem I can forsee is in doing divebombs and having the strings come out of a standard nut as Speedy said.

How come my Carvin with graphite nut, locking tuners and wilkinson trem always detuned?? Was it the wilkinson trem? Or was the nut not filed out correctly? Well anyways I sold the bugger because it detuned even when I looked at it :D

Alex, the wilkinson still uses the ball ends does it not? If this is the case, that is your main problem, that allows movement as the bridge end is not locked.

The nut could also have been to tight and the strings binding so that they didn't return to where they should, when you did a divebomb, my guess is that you ended up with strings sharp? that would likely be the string sticking in the nut.

Guest AlexVDL

Exactly LGM... well, I still prefer my locking nut :-) Lockingnut + locking tuners = perfect :D

The locking tuners are there for the quick and easy string changing and the nut for the stable tuning... in my opinion B)

heres how it is- sperzels locking tuners - graphite nut - trem ( i personaly love my kayhler) dont wrap the strings around the tuners at all! maybe half turn around the post but no more!

i can hold the trem arm and bounce the guitar up and down without holding the guitar and the thing stays in tune! its great!

but i dont even like trems its the only guitar (besides my mustang that has a bigsby) that has one and the only reason i still have it is cause it was my first guitar. its a "martin" stinger strat copy but it has a great trem! :D

Well I know I saw a new style of locking nut hitting the market not to long ago that also trims the strings for you as well, Yes the old beloved guitar is yet upon another age of evolution no more wire cutters for some people.

Guest AlexVDL
Well I know I saw a new style of locking nut hitting the market not to long ago that also trims the strings for you as well, Yes the old beloved guitar is yet upon another age of evolution no more wire cutters for some people.

I don't know about a nut that does that, but I have seen a locking tuner that cuts the strings for ya. Just put the string in the hole, turn the wheel on the back of the tuner and the string is locked and cut off. They were less expensive than sperzels or schallers. The brand is Planet Waves.

3005019.jpg

hey yeh i saw those and was thinking about getting a pair, but the only thing i am worried about is that over time will the post wear out and start to bind the string instead of cut it? unless the tuner body was made out of "tool steel" wich is very strong id be worried. but they are a great idea! especialy for the touring band or the guitar tech! very fast stringing up!

if anyone has used these for a while and like them let me know. i might try em! :D