routing my neck angle

hey kids im trying to decide how to rout my neck angle on a les paul copy im building i know how to find it and everything i need to know just not sure how to rout it to the correct angle i havent carved the top yet so yeah anyways any suggestions?

Guest AlexVDL

The neck pocket is routed before the top is carved, so the bottom of the routing is horzontal just like the top of the guitar before being carved. So you just can put your router on top of the body and rout the pocket out.

Uhm... before I go further, you were talking about a set neck weren't you?? Otherwise never mind the above :D

I disagree. The neck angle is planed into the guitar top. This creates a flat surface for you to mount you template on, which is angled to match the neck angle. Simply tape or pin your template to the angle area you've planed, and route as normal. When the top is carved the flat area will be flowed into the carve, so it is no longer visable.

im going with alex on this one! , all les pauls ive seen made have had their neck joint routed before the top was glued on.

BUT, there is no reason why you could`nt make it with an angled neck socket!

i have never made a les paul , so i really dont know which way is best. :D

Guest AlexVDL

I john, I think you mean it is routed before the top is carved?? Because routing a neck pocket before glueing the top seems a bit strange to do... :D

But anyways, I think Setch and Chow were thinking about the bolt-on neck pockets.

We were thinking of set neck les pauls, the real deal B)

No, I meant on set necks.

Routing the neck pocket after planing the neck angle, but before carving the top is the accepted practice amoungst most people I know who have built LP style guitars, is the method described by Melvyn Hiscock in his excellent 'Build Your Own Electric Guitar' and is how I did mine - where the technique worked perfectly.

Trust me on this - I've done it, not just seen pics or heard references to it!

m2942537-2724.jpg

Some, but not a great many.

I am in the process of building another similar guitar, you guys can expect a veritable SL of pics... :D

Here's a pic of the guitar above, after planing the neck angle and routing the pocket, but before the top is carved. (sorry, lousy pic, hope you can see what's going on....)

m2959042-3643.jpg

Just curious - how is the angle of the neck to the body set then? Is the neck itself the bit with the angle?

:D

Guest AlexVDL
No, I meant on set necks.

Routing the neck pocket after planing the neck angle, but before carving the top is the accepted practice amoungst most people I know who have built LP style guitars, is the method described by Melvyn Hiscock in his excellent 'Build Your Own Electric Guitar' and is how I did mine - where the technique worked perfectly.

Trust me on this - I've done it, not just seen pics or heard references to it!

m2942537-2724.jpg

You're right, look at this pic:

tenonhalf.jpg

Great pic Alex - Thanks! (where did you find it?)

Do you have any idea the relative ages of those two? That top joint is pretty flakey - I'd be ashamed to have anyone see a joint I'd cut with such minimal contact between the tennon and mortice! I wonder if it's one of the dreaded Norlin era...

The bottom one looks very much like what I did - carrying the tennon through into the neck pickup route.

Guest AlexVDL

It's a comparison between normal Gibsons and the historic collections. I found it here.

If I look at that above picture, I almost don't want to lift up my Gibson LP studio at the neck :D

man i hope my 61 sg isnt like that! personaly i dont think either of the jionts were good, the first one of course but the second one had some flaws also. i saw some gaps in the jiont! and i dont like gaps! :D prsonaly for my guitars i route the neck angle at 4 deg. all the way back until it rises out of the body back. then my neck runs all the way in it, i then dont have to shape the tennon on the neck at all and i just plane my boards to 1 3/8 and go to town, its kinda like a neck thru but a little different! and so far it works great!

• 2 weeks later...