Tuning Problem

Sometimes, if the string is cut too short it can't be wrapped around the tuner enough times so it slips slightly after playing. Especially, if you bend strings or use the whammy alot.

Also, new strings tend to stretch and go out of tune easily at first until the strings break in.

Sometimes I'll tune my strings almost a half step high and bend all of them several times to stretch them out quicker when they're new.

Then I'll retune it to standard pitch and bend them all again then retune.

If that still doesn't help you could put a new string on and make sure it wraps enough times around the post so it doesn't slip. I make sure that as the string wraps around the post, it crosses above and below where the string first passes through the tuner hole.

It helps clamp the string in place.

also make sure that the string slides easily over the nut.

Excellent point. I forgot to mention that! :D

The string may be binding up in the nut slot.

Loosen the string and make sure the slot is clean. Some people use pencil lead as a lubricant in the string slots but I use a Graphtech nut so I don't need to.

also make sure that the string slides easily over the nut.

Excellent point. I forgot to mention that! :D

The string may be binding up in the nut slot.

Loosen the string and make sure the slot is clean. Some people use pencil lead as a lubricant in the string slots but I use a Graphtech nut so I don't need to.

Did anyone mention that he should change the strings? Chances are, if it's a used guitar, the strings haven't been changed in a long time.

I like Graph Tech nuts (and saddles and string trees) too --but I have a nut here that was cut for me that STILL manages to bind on the G string...in other words, I won't be taking my guitars to that tech anymore... B)