Neck Pocket Vs Neck Thru Construction

it's all a matter of preference. Try searching this forum with the search option in the top right. There is never a best because if there was a best then there would be no competition in the market between brands like Fender, Gibson, PRS, Ibanez and all those other companies.

I haven't personally tried a neck through but it sounds like what I might be doing for my first build. Neck throughs tend to add more sustain since the neck is one piece instead of two pieces bolted together or glued together. You can buy a premade neckthrough at Stewmac.com looks like a fair price (if it isn't someone correct me haha) I don't know what you mean by neckpocket if you're going to use a bolt on or a set neck or if you are referring to bother. I don't know the difference between these two but I remember reading the difference on here about a month ago.

Each idea has pros and cons to people, everyone has different tastes - and hey, that's the best thing - an even better excuse to build more and more guitars to keep finding out what you're looking for between different types of necks, woods, scales, pickups, bridges, nuts, and anything else i'm missing instead of whats just available.

-Jamie

I find neck thru's way easier to build, provided you're not messing with a neck angle, then it can be more difficult, but not that much, there's no neck pocket to mess with :D

But if you mess up anything is almost sure that the neck will get thrashed.

So like everybody else said do a search, you will find tons on info and debates about this.

I would go with the Carvin because it appears to be a better deal. If you look at the specs for each you will find that although they look the same they are not identical. Stew Mac has a 9 degree angled headstock with a slotted nut while the Carvin is 11 degrees with a graphite nut. Not a big difference but the widths are also different and the Carvin has two reinforcement rods to complement the double expanding truss rod. There is no mention of the extra rods with the Stew Mac neck. I received one of these Carvin necks (NT6) for Christmas and it looks like it is made very well.

I would go with the Carvin because it appears to be a better deal. If you look at the specs for each you will find that although they look the same they are not identical. Stew Mac has a 9 degree angled headstock with a slotted nut while the Carvin is 11 degrees with a graphite nut. Not a big difference but the widths are also different and the Carvin has two reinforcement rods to complement the double expanding truss rod. There is no mention of the extra rods with the Stew Mac neck. I received one of these Carvin necks (NT6) for Christmas and it looks like it is made very well.

wow stewmac did change them a bit.i swear they used to be identical.

bet they still get them from the same place carvin does

I would go with the Carvin because it appears to be a better deal.  If you look at the specs for each you will find that although they look the same they are not identical.  Stew Mac has a 9 degree angled headstock with a slotted nut while the Carvin is 11 degrees with a graphite nut.  Not a big difference but the widths are also different and the Carvin has two reinforcement rods to complement the double expanding truss rod.  There is no mention of the extra rods with the Stew Mac neck.  I received one of these Carvin necks (NT6) for Christmas and it looks like it is made very well.

wow stewmac did change them a bit.i swear they used to be identical.

bet they still get them from the same place carvin does

apparently, i heard stewmac got their necks from carvin.

I was under the impression that they were the same too!

But either one will be a good buy, they both have grafite nut, and sloted. I will get Carvin because of the price, and that I have played Carvin guitar and they are sweet. Also that I can get a shapped headstock for the same price and Stew sell tham blank.