Removing Inlays On Headstock.

I'm so glad I've found this forum!

I have/am getting very soon, an Epiphone Firebird solid body guitar. On the headstock there is an inlayed Epiphone logo which I wish to remove and replace with a silk screen printed logo on the truss rod cover. How can I remove this inlayed logo? It won't be covered up once it is removed so i need it to look clean!

I thought about sanding down the entire surface of the headstock until the inlay is gone but i don't know how deep it is inlayed and whether I'll have to take off about 2mm and ruin the headstock!

I've never done a project like this before so I really need some help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Spyke.

Edited by spykemitchell

Another idea I had was to chisel out the entire inlay, fill it with a piece of wood that matched the headstock, filled in the gaps with wood dust and CA glue, sand down the piece of wood so it was flush with the headstock and relaquer the whole thing. I know that sounds really basic but you get the idea. Will this be easy to do? I have GCSE (don't know what the US equivalent is but it's basically the first major qualification you get in education inthe UK) design technology so I have experience with working with wood but no experience with working on guitars. I don't want to mess up my first effort.

Spyke.

Please, if anyone knows... 39 views and nobody knows?!?!

Your going to have to rout it out, then either re-inlay something over the old hole, or fill it with a "patch" wood inlay perfectly matching. That's the only way to do it save sanding it off completely level, and gluing on a new headsock veneer.

Craig Lavin

Do you have a photo of the headstock?

I've been looking around for a Firebird like you describe, but all the Epiphones I'm finding have no inlay, just an Epiphone truss rod cover (there's a truss rod cover up for auction on ebay.us by the way)

Sounds to me like you'll be ruining the headstock if you touch it...

Best to leave it alone---

Having said that, if you are bent on doing this, then why not do it in a way that you could go back to the original headstock look if you decided to sell the guitar. I would just sand the finish VERY lightly with some 600 paper on a block so as to keep the surface level. Then I would mask off the face of the headstock and spray on some black lacquer. VERY thin so that in the future you could wet sand it off and reveal your original finish/inlays.

I would certainly not chisel out inlays and such on this instrument.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if someone could help me with the same kind of thing. I want to remove the inlays, and then place decals on the headstock. How would I go about doing this? Would simple paint over the headstock work, or would it be more complicated than that? Please help me! I have pictures if necessary.

Oh, and what's a veneer piece?

Edited by froggerreloaded

A veneer peice is a very thin peice of wood that you can put on another peice of wood. There normaly exotic wood because its alot cheaper to buy 1mm of quilt than 40mm. In furniture, your wooden desktop is propibly chipboard veneerd in beach or somthing similar.

Hmm, okay then. How much would a single piece for my headstock cost? And how would I go about doing this? I failed Industrial Technology, and would probably stuff the whole thing up.