12 Way Strat Switch

i-j-c

Guy posts a quality diagram of a versatile, albeit complicated, wiring scheme in the electronics forum a guitar building site and within the first 5 replies are one of the most respected members making a condescending, dismissive 3 word post, and another "expert" taking jabs at the poster himself as well as his effort.

Welcome to Project Guitar, hey where you going ... come back ....  dang, another one gone :-(

-jeff

Ok, lets expand on my three word post, as i AM an expert at this.

WHAT'S THE POINT?? In my experience, you'll use MAYBE three settings, which could all be done with a lot easier wiring diagram, through less components (which alter tone). Ive done circuits like this for many home/gigging/session players, and i can ABSOLUTELY DEFINATELY WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER, say that EVERY SINGLE CLIENT was dumbfounded by the arrangements of switches, needed written instructions on what did what, and WAS NOT IMPRESSED by the lack of "different" sounds that their guitar now generates. Truth is, half the sounds all sound the same, a few sound totally crap (subjective), and a few sound just like a standard strat. So, to ask again, WHATS THE POINT??

Now, are you going to take that as: WHATS THE POINT FOOL?? or, WHATS THE POINT IN ALL THE DIFFERENT OPTIONS??

Now, if the original poster had said he wanted to try out different sounds, thats COOL AS CAN BE, GO FOR IT. If he had said he expects to use every different switching arrangement for a different song, live, five nights a week, we'd politely tell him he is in for a shock...

ha ha over time they all sound the same, and you move onto another guitar. some like some don't like. Some guys like to tweak a guitar just like some guys like to tweak their car.

having wired tons of guitars I personally have gone back to two simple things... out of phase or coil split... and one of my switches... that all the tone I would ever need. the bc rich mod is a lot to digest in terms of tone, and out of phase on a bridge pickup sounds close to one at the neck.

Remeinds of the switching idea I have for my first build. Ive been wanting to start for months but theres no guitar parts or good lumber stores in Ireland. I cant afford to get everything in america and ship it over and at the moment Im still in school.

Sorry little off topic there but check out this switching Im designing it for a hsh but you could probably change it for 1 hum 2 singles

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...1&st=&p=entry

EDIT: the design has changed a bit from this.

Edited by 68 lost souls